Caridina multidentata zoes

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

graphictart
Egg
Egg

Caridina multidentata zoes

Post by graphictart »

Hi all,

Can anyone point me in the direction of information regarding the length of time that amano zoes remain in salt water. I have read 30 – 35 days.
Mine have been 34 and are still larval. Can any one that has successfully bread these shed any light as how to tell when they are ready, and length of time that they were in salt water. Is there a really obvious change in the overall look of the shrimp before they change for the last time?
(Mine are a red / pearly gold colour; I think the term “scud” is used to describe this stage)
The waters really green and they are still attracted to my torch, are they still attracted to light after they have morphed?).
I’ve come this far and I don’t want to blow it by moving them too soon, I have also read on another forum that young amano’s will survive for a couple of months in salt water, is this true?

All help really appreciated, I'm really excited about this.
eraserbones
Larva
Larva

Re: Caridina multidentata zoes

Post by eraserbones »

If you've made it to day 34 then you're definitely doing something right.

The transformation to postlarvae is quite obvious when it happens -- they will stop hovering and swimming tail-first and start acting like grown-up, benthic shrimp. They'll sit for a few minutes, then zoom forward (much faster than the larvae ever do.) You'll know it when you see it!

The last few stages before post-larvae are obviously fat and orange. Growth rate is quite variable depending on temp and food source, but you don't have long to wait.

(edit with more details: My postlarvae generally lose their orange color and turn clear after a few days, but this might be dietary, so I wouldn't count on it. Postlarvae are generally attracted to light, same as larvae.)
graphictart
Egg
Egg

Post by graphictart »

Thank you for your reply,

I will keep an eye out. I have noticed one or two zoes that do appear to 'zoom' about in the tank (could that be my imagination) lol.
As for the question that they will survive in saltwater for a couple of months after morphing, do you think this is true? (i would think that it would take a few days to return to freshwater at least a week?)
If so, this could give the other zoes time to catch up and morph, so instead of taking them out as and when they change I could then begin to reduce the salinity in the main tank????)

Any legs in this or would it be best to remove them as and when they morph?

All help appreciated

john
eraserbones
Larva
Larva

Post by eraserbones »

Now and then I've found a few stragglers which had clearly been living in salt water (and growing, albeit slowly) for several months. I haven't ever tried to leave a whole batch of young in saltwater, though, so I don't know what your mortality would be.

My main concern with your plan is that as you change the salinity in the main tank you'll eventually kill off your algae culture, and that could cause a big ammonia spike.
graphictart wrote:Thank you for your reply,

I will keep an eye out. I have noticed one or two zoes that do appear to 'zoom' about in the tank (could that be my imagination) lol.
As for the question that they will survive in saltwater for a couple of months after morphing, do you think this is true? (i would think that it would take a few days to return to freshwater at least a week?)
If so, this could give the other zoes time to catch up and morph, so instead of taking them out as and when they change I could then begin to reduce the salinity in the main tank????)

Any legs in this or would it be best to remove them as and when they morph?

All help appreciated

john
graphictart
Egg
Egg

Post by graphictart »

Good point,
I won't be doing that then.

Just a thought:
Could I drop the salinity 5ppt per week (is that too much?) and the bacteria would adjust to that?

Regards

John
eraserbones
Larva
Larva

Post by eraserbones »

I'm not really worried about your bacteria -- I was thinking that you were keeping the zooes in a green-water culture, and that the green water algae is most likely only suited to living in a marine environment. If you have the zooes in more-or-less clear water, then it might not matter.

What I do, usually, is:

1) Pour the whole contents of the zooe tank through a brine-shrimp net
2) Put the strained salt-water back in the zooe tank
3) Dump the net into a pint or so of water
4) Fish out all the not-yet-postlarvae and return them to the zooe tank. This is easy since the zooes tend to hover at the surface, and the postlarvae cling to the bottom.
5) Transition the pint to fresh water over a day or two
graphictart wrote:Good point,
I won't be doing that then.

Just a thought:
Could I drop the salinity 5ppt per week (is that too much?) and the bacteria would adjust to that?

Regards

John
graphictart
Egg
Egg

Post by graphictart »

Thank you for your time and sharing your experience with me.
I'll start de salting and x fingers it all goes well.

Regards

John
TitoC
Egg
Egg

Post by TitoC »

I used to fish out the PL's with a small net and put them directly in fresh water. Eventhough it is an unnaturally big shock, they don't mind it and they survive without any problem.
The only downside is the time it takes to fish them... But after a while, you come up with some tricks...
Good luck!
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Has anyone else tried to raise the Larvae to Post-Larvae ?

After my short lived venture in the Saltwater Hobby,
I will have to give Breeding/Raising the Larvae a shot again.
Now that I know there are different live Phyto-Plankton Cultures available.