Baby season.

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

MelWong
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Baby season.

Post by MelWong »

Well. It's been a while, but I didn't want to post until I was sure this batch of babies would live.

But I have baby shrimp - two of them this time, and they've grown to the point where they are recognizably tiny shrimp. I no longer have to strain my eyes to see them.

And there's another berried female waiting to release her eggs, and she's managed to keep more of them than the last one to do so.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Baby season.

Post by KenCotigirl »

Great news. It does seem once they start breeding it becomes a regular event. It is nice to have floaters and berried females in the tank. And thanks for the update.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Awesome! I'm sure you're going to post pictures at some point, right? :-D
MelWong
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by MelWong »

I need to get a better camera for that, I think. And a macro lens. And they won't sit still, little buggers.
MelWong
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by MelWong »

And six newly hatched babies by my count this morning. The berried shrimp is still releasing freshly hatched babies, as far as I can tell, so we may have more.

Which brings me to an idle question, whenever you get around to answering, Mustafa - Do I have to worry about inbreeding in my shrimp?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Congrats! :smt041 :smt035

As to worries about inbreeding...don't worry *at all.* I have *never* seen any problems with inbreeding in *any* shrimp species so far. The gazillionth generation of shrimp running around now are just as health and active as their ancestors...which whom they have interbred multiple times probably (disturbing thought: It's like inbreeding with your great great great great great great grandfather, and everything in between... :-D ). These are very simple animals....
MelWong
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by MelWong »

Mustafa wrote:(disturbing thought: It's like inbreeding with your great great great great great great grandfather, and everything in between... :-D )
This brings up visions of Futurama, the X-Files, and Deliverance all at once. This is so wrong. :mrgreen: But yeah, I get your point about the shrimp, but was just wondering idly about it.