I like the look of the ecosphere, but.....

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

carolynsthings
Egg
Egg

Re: I like the look of the ecosphere, but.....

Post by carolynsthings »

Thank you again, everyone.

Does anyone have one of these tanks http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... kpid=63490

I wonder if the filter can be removed entirely.....
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Nexus6 wrote: And honestly, 82 degrees probably wont kill them, but will be uncomfortable for them and can affect their longevity and breeding.
Nope, doesn't. That temp is totally fine. My tanks get to over 88-92 degrees in the summer. At that point reproduction slows, but below that everything is fine. 80-82 is no problem at all.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Also...you don't need to use ammonia or anything to cycle Opae/Supershrimp tanks. Usually leaving the tanks to its own devices for about 2-6 weeks is all you need to do. Snails and Macroalgae may accelerate that process a bit.
Nexus6
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Nexus6 »

Mustafa wrote:
Nexus6 wrote: And honestly, 82 degrees probably wont kill them, but will be uncomfortable for them and can affect their longevity and breeding.
Nope, doesn't. That temp is totally fine. My tanks get to over 88-92 degrees in the summer. At that point reproduction slows, but below that everything is fine. 80-82 is no problem at all.
Wow, they sure are a lot tougher than i thought. Mustafa, what do you think is the most ideal temp?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

It's hard to say what temp is ideal. I'd say a range of 68-82 is probably ideal for breeding. They can live and thrive at temperatures outside that range, but larvae production may suffer or completely stop (at the really high and low temps).