White and red colour change

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Edwin
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

White and red colour change

Post by Edwin »

I read that the opae turn white when stressed out and red when they are comfortable and all. However, it is weird why mine would look so vibrant red when I see them in the morning around 6-8AM but would turn so dead pale by the afternoon or evening time. These opaes are those in my first tank; different from the 2nd tank which I'm recycling right now in the other thread.

It seems the night and perhaps darkness help them to recover their colour. Is something stressing them out during the day or are all of your opae also this pale during the day? My tank is away from the window and has limited indirect sunlight as well. The room is generally empty as well and free from noise. It may have well been warmer during the day without the air conditioner unlike at night but is that really the factor? I would really like for them to look red and healthy and happy if possible. Please share your experience.

Photos below are taken first thing in the morning when they look their best. They look so different during the day which I don't have photos of.
Attachments
20170316_075711.jpg
20170315_073404.jpg
20170315_073532.jpg
20170316_075724.jpg
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: White and red colour change

Post by Varanus »

About how many shrimp would you say you have? Are there a lot of hiding places? That is (and this is just a guess) rather than a daily color change you might just be seeing different individuals that prefer to be more active at different times, the individuals later in the day just happening to trend toward paler colors.

Still, more than stress influences a supershrimp's colors, and some individuals may be always pale (some individuals in your photos appear this way). But I haven't seen or heard of daily color changes in my experience.
Edwin
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Edwin »

There are 8 shrimps in a 10 x 10 x 20 container. Admittedly some are paler looking but the vibrant red ones would look less red. Hopefully it's not a sign of something more.

Only shortcoming of this tank is a lack of hiding spots perhaps.
Attachments
20170208_200847.jpg
Ace
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Ace »

The scrimpies I have change colors all the time. Their behaviors and colors change throughout the day. They live next to my bed. It is very quiet and there is nobody around them but me. I do take note on their colors and behaviors but I don't see what the colors and activities are about. I don't stress over it. The sphere gets direct sunlight in the morning.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Very interesting coral in your tank. Don't recall seeing the tall branched one before. I think your shrimp look fine. If they are not darting about and just grazing away any color change you may notice would not be a concern.

KenP
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

KenCotigirl wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:59 am Very interesting coral in your tank. Don't recall seeing the tall branched one before. I think your shrimp look fine. If they are not darting about and just grazing away any color change you may notice would not be a concern.

KenP
Yeah, that *is* an awesome looking piece of coral. Is it even real though? There are a lot of very colorful fake corals out there. Either way, it's great looking.
Edwin
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Edwin »

I'm not sure if it's real or not actually. It feels light and breaks easily (brittle) if I tug at the slim branches a bit too hard. Hence, I think it's real.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yeah, it sounds like it is.