First timer in Opae

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Wendy
Larva
Larva

First timer in Opae

Post by Wendy »

Hi all, I'm a newbies and first timer on Opae Ula.

23 Jan - I received Ecosphere with 2 Opae as a gift from my colleague. Honestly I don't know what kind of shrimp I received as I didn't check out with my colleague. My bad. I thought it's a cherry shrimp.

12 Feb - Transferred to a half gallon Tank. Tank have crushed corals, stone, small Sea Fan and few small piece of seashell. I mess it up by putting in moss attached with a wood into the tank. I thought the moss can tolerate in blackish water. I throw the moss and wood away after I found there's worm in the tank about a week later and tested out the salinity is not salty enough. The by product of the moss and wood is horrible. Opae is stress. They are quiet and not moving around. I slapped myself 3 times for what I have done to the cute Opae.

22 Feb - I changed the water, clean tank and all the things with boiling hot water. Transferred the 2 Opae back to the tank. I don't have enough time to cycle the tank. So I feed them once a week with shrimps food, besides having a Sea Fan and hair Algae in it. They are still alive even after all these stress. They are so hardy.

Brought 3 more Opae to add to the tank. Now, total have 5 Opae.

4 Mar - first molted exoskeleton found! The molted skin went missing within half a day. I assume they are it, are they very hungry? Not enough food?

2 Opae here is translucent, 1 is pinkish while another 2 is red. They look steady, swimming and munching on the algae, wall, rock and moving around a lot, unless I disturb the tank by adding RO water or accidentally moved the tank.

They are swimming upside down and munching on the biofilm (I assume). I can see the algae growing as there's greenish thing on the rock and corals.

Why is Opae translucent? I thought it should be red in colour. It have also saddled.

I don't have any testing kit so I actually don't know the water numbers. I use marine salt (sold by the local Opae seller) mix with RO water, as instructed by the seller.

I also notice that the Sea Fan is turning brown colour. Is it decaying? Is it ok?

I don't know how to insert photo here so share a link here to view the photos
https://www.flickr.com/photos/155867082 ... 6451740408
Wendy
Larva
Larva

Re: First timer in Opae

Post by Wendy »

Just found another molted exoskeleton!
Fiore de'i Liberi
Egg
Egg

Post by Fiore de'i Liberi »

Sounds like you are having a great time with your new pets! I am setting up my tank now. So far the only experience I have keeping these shrimp is with an ecosphere.

All 3 of my ecosphere shrimp died in there after about 3 years. I didn't know they weren't happy until after they were long dead. I want to do right by the next ones I get.
Wendy
Larva
Larva

Post by Wendy »

Yes I really do enjoying my time with these little pets :D they are so cute. I didn't expect 2 little opae molted at the same time. I assume they are comfortable in this tank, I have no experience in pet, any pet. I'm so happy the first 2 opae survive the torture.

It's so sad to hear your previous opae died. It's heartbreaking I believe. I open up the Ecosphere since I read about how it affects the lifespan.
Nellyville41
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Nellyville41 »

Seems like your shrimps are ok. Even if they don’t change to a red color doesn’t necessarily mean anything. They can still be happy and swimming about and grazing. Some of mine stayed translucent or a hint of red while others are full blown red. If you disturb them then they’ll turn clear but turn back red within a few hours. Molting is a good sign they’re growing.
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Wendy wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:51 am4 Mar - first molted exoskeleton found! The molted skin went missing within half a day. I assume they are it, are they very hungry? Not enough food?
Eating the molt is normal behavior, so no worries. In fact you should probably change to feeding them once a month or so. These guys subsist mostly on microscopic biofilm.
2 Opae here is translucent, 1 is pinkish while another 2 is red. They look steady, swimming and munching on the algae, wall, rock and moving around a lot, unless I disturb the tank by adding RO water or accidentally moved the tank.

They are swimming upside down and munching on the biofilm (I assume). I can see the algae growing as there's greenish thing on the rock and corals.

Why is Opae translucent? I thought it should be red in colour. It have also saddled.
They vary quite a bit in color, some always being fairly pale/transparent, others bright red, others pink, some with a stripe, still others orange in color. Shades of red are just the most common colors.
I don't have any testing kit so I actually don't know the water numbers. I use marine salt (sold by the local Opae seller) mix with RO water, as instructed by the seller.
While half the strength of sea water is recommended, they can do well under a fairly wide range of salinity. You shouldn't have to test it unless you have reason to think the salinity is way off half strength.
Wendy
Larva
Larva

Post by Wendy »

Thanks Varanus & Nellyville, I have been observing them every night and see them seems normal. Except for the time 1 or 2 fellows seems to be swimming more aggressive after the molted spotted. I saw another molted Exoskeleton today but I think it should be the same last one that molted as I don't think they molt all the same time :-D I just leave it in the tank.
Wendy
Larva
Larva

Post by Wendy »

I'm planning to add in a piece of red coral and add in Lava rock (currently do not have lava rock). I understand that there's kinda no particular measurements of how many extra coral and lava rock should add. But I just think it's logic thinking not to crowded the small half gallon tank right. How much should I put in the lava rock.
Wendy
Larva
Larva

Post by Wendy »

The pinkish super shrimp have turn to deep red. I have another molted. I realize they molted after each time I feed them although they don't eat it. Why is it so?
Wendy
Larva
Larva

Post by Wendy »

May I know if it's normal that the Opae to hide in the Lava Rock or just stand still on the lava rock? The small fellows didn't seems to be as active as before, where they usually swimming all over the tank. I added in 5 pieces of lava rock to the tank 5 days ago. I soak the rock in boiling hot water for 15 mins and let them cool down before adding to the tank.
Wendy
Larva
Larva

Post by Wendy »

Chaeto growing fast and almost double the size but not dark green colour like before.
IMG_20180326_234518.jpg
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Wendy wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:45 am May I know if it's normal that the Opae to hide in the Lava Rock or just stand still on the lava rock? The small fellows didn't seems to be as active as before, where they usually swimming all over the tank.
When you say they are still do you mean completely still or are they scrubbing at the rock with their front limbs? If the latter it just means they have no need to move to find more food. How active they are will depend partly on how much food there is and whether they have to move around to get to it or not.

Lots of shrimp swimming/darting around all at the same time can be a sign of stress, so no need to worry if they've settled down. Its normal for most of them to just walk and only a few to be swimming at any one time.
SGTSHEW
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by SGTSHEW »

Varanus wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:21 pm
Wendy wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:45 am May I know if it's normal that the Opae to hide in the Lava Rock or just stand still on the lava rock? The small fellows didn't seems to be as active as before, where they usually swimming all over the tank.
When you say they are still do you mean completely still or are they scrubbing at the rock with their front limbs? If the latter it just means they have no need to move to find more food. How active they are will depend partly on how much food there is and whether they have to move around to get to it or not.

Lots of shrimp swimming/darting around all at the same time can be a sign of stress, so no need to worry if they've settled down. Its normal for most of them to just walk and only a few to be swimming at any one time.
Varanus is right mine are very relaxed and sit on the coral eating or they get up in the chaeto and feed. The only time they get super active is when I get in the tank to do something like trim the chaeto. They change color then to for a bit.
Wendy
Larva
Larva

Post by Wendy »

Sounds that the little guys are normal. Sometimes they are still, sometimes they scrubbing with their front limbs. Sometimes they just walk slowly. Previously they are always busy walking around the corals and wall.
Attachments
Photo taken this morning
Photo taken this morning