I've kept marimo in brackish

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

daniman
Egg
Egg

I've kept marimo in brackish

Post by daniman »

Hi, I just wanted to share my experience with all of you.

I've had a pufferfish BW tank for around for years, it currently has java fern and marimo balls and I've never had any problems with them. I adapted the java fern very slowly (it took a month or so) and I adapted the marimo in two days (1.000 SG --> 1.004 SG --> 1.007 SG --> 1.008 SG).
None of them has died, all of them are growing normal, just a bit slowly.

I read a lot Mustafa claiming that it's not possible to keep them in BW.

As I said, it's just my experience
ThisGuy
Larva
Larva

Re: I've kept marimo in brackish

Post by ThisGuy »

:-) Cool! I was never very sucsesful with marimos even in freshwater.:cry:
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

daniman wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:58 am I read a lot Mustafa claiming that it's not possible to keep them in BW.
I *specifically* didn't claim THAT for a good reason. I kept saying that we need proof from multiple sources over time that Marimo balls can not just "hang in there" but actually *multiply* in higher salinity brackish water. Still haven't seen that including from what you describe. We would also need to see photos or videos unless there are hundreds or thousands of people making the same claim.

In other words, I'm open to the possibility. I have even posted many times here that "marimo balls" occur all over the world and not always in ball shape. They are actually mostly growing flat, attached on surfaces. Some of these populations do live in high salinity brackish water like the baltic sea (where they grow flat, not as balls). They are all supposed to be the same species, but I honestly doubt it. I don't know where the aquarium marimo balls come from so it's hard to say how well they will do in brackish water over time and if they will multiply. So far nobody is multiplying them.

There are people still out there who swear that their java moss or java fern "grows" in Supershrimp tanks and that it has been months and "it's still green." Well...until it doesn't anymore and it becomes apparent that the plant was either dead already but still green or dying slowly over time. None of these plants can even grow in low salinity brackish water...despite claims on the internet for years to the contrary.

The Supershrimp Mossballs on the other hand demonstrably grow and multiply in Supershrimp tanks, albeit very slowly.
Mrhandsome
Egg
Egg

Post by Mrhandsome »

ThisGuy wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:42 pm :-) Cool! I was never very sucsesful with marimos even in freshwater.:cry:
I have no problems with my marino balls in the tank for 2 years or so. They went on and off from brown to lush green though (weird) after those opae ulas were sunbathing on it. It could just be brown algae. I'm not so sure. I had about 4 hours of indirect sunlight per day and they are doing well. No significant growth in size is observed though (they don't seem to grow).