Finally, i got very deep red ones!

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Finally, i got very deep red ones!

Post by Varanus »

Malikta wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:59 pmI would never want to do anything that disturbed that balance so I found a reputable seller and do all my business with him, Mustafa.
Could you perchance explain what makes this seller reputable?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Erlina _rusli wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:49 pm Btw i bought the red ones from the same hobbyst :)
Of course you did, and I'm sure that "hobbyist" has tons of aquariums with selectively bred super red shrimp that look *exactly* like freshly wild caught ones...AND sells them for MUCH cheaper than the actually captive-bred ones which is why you bought them from the "hobbyist" in the first place. Anyone who has ever bred these shrimp knows they don't exactly breed like rabbits and it would take lots of time and effort and LOTS of shrimp to even supply them in any quantity at any reasonable price. But if you just have to go and throw a net into a protected anchialine pool in Hawaii when nobody is looking , then you can of course offer them for very cheap.

Anyway, they are recently wild-caught (most likely poached illegally and then sent illegally out of Hawaii) and there is NO doubt about it.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Varanus wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:36 am
Malikta wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:59 pmI would never want to do anything that disturbed that balance so I found a reputable seller and do all my business with him, Mustafa.

I'm also curious about what makes me reputable! :-D :wink:
Erlina _rusli
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Erlina _rusli »

This is the 4th times releasing babies larvaes in my tank from january 2018
Attachments
Screenshot_20180420-213352.png
IMG_20180419_230133.jpg
Erlina _rusli
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Erlina _rusli »

Mustafa wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:16 pm
Erlina _rusli wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:49 pm Btw i bought the red ones from the same hobbyst :)
Of course you did, and I'm sure that "hobbyist" has tons of aquariums with selectively bred super red shrimp that look *exactly* like freshly wild caught ones...AND sells them for MUCH cheaper than the actually captive-bred ones which is why you bought them from the "hobbyist" in the first place. Anyone who has ever bred these shrimp knows they don't exactly breed like rabbits and it would take lots of time and effort and LOTS of shrimp to even supply them in any quantity at any reasonable price. But if you just have to go and throw a net into a protected anchialine pool in Hawaii when nobody is looking , then you can of course offer them for very cheap.

Anyway, they are recently wild-caught (most likely poached illegally and then sent illegally out of Hawaii) and there is NO doubt about it.
Not cheap
Malikta
Larva
Larva

Post by Malikta »

Varanus wrote: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:36 am
All the information provided along with this board that had years of testimony vs. people selling them that could care less about where the shrimp were coming from. Also so much detail about how to set up the environment. He could have let us wing it to up the chances of resale - in my book, that's a person with a good reputation. Hence my use of the word, reputable :)
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Malikta wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:36 amAll the information provided along with this board that had years of testimony vs. people selling them that could care less about where the shrimp were coming from. Also so much detail about how to set up the environment. He could have let us wing it to up the chances of resale - in my book, that's a person with a good reputation. Hence my use of the word, reputable :)
Good info on care is nice yes, but I more meant evidence the person is actually breeding them, i.e. videos or photos of the tanks/facility, accounts of when they started, willingness to answer questions about how they do business, etc. Kind of like the video here showing a tank Mustafa grows the moss balls in: https://www.petshrimp.com/product/super ... algaeball/ wherein you can see shrimp of different sizes, some carrying eggs, and so on.
Erlina _rusli
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Erlina _rusli »

Yes without being asked he showed me all the pics an videos of his tanks and he dont do business like mustafa, he just supporting his hobby , im the one who looked for him not him reaching me. He also use small jar for the uncolored ones. :) And if someone said its because toddler yelling or noise that disturbed the shrimps that make it pale color, it didnt work for my shrimps, my tank really next to another tank with noisy filter going on and vibrate on my opae ula tank but my red ones still red. And loud tv noise next to my tank too.
So i just tell my own experiences... despite Whatever u all want to say....:)
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

I don't think anyone claimed that noises like that would cause stress, it'd have to be a more serious disturbance.

Did the videos show baby shrimp?

Also, the fact remains that pale ones can and do turn red as they age, and vice versa can happen too. There are some that may be always red, and if the seller specifically sends those then so be it, but I prefer a more natural variation.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Varanus wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:35 am
Malikta wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:36 amAll the information provided along with this board that had years of testimony vs. people selling them that could care less about where the shrimp were coming from. Also so much detail about how to set up the environment. He could have let us wing it to up the chances of resale - in my book, that's a person with a good reputation. Hence my use of the word, reputable :)
Good info on care is nice yes, but I more meant evidence the person is actually breeding them, i.e. videos or photos of the tanks/facility, accounts of when they started, willingness to answer questions about how they do business, etc. Kind of like the video here showing a tank Mustafa grows the moss balls in: https://www.petshrimp.com/product/super ... algaeball/ wherein you can see shrimp of different sizes, some carrying eggs, and so on.
You are right Varanus, evidence of breeding is definitely key. But even then I have known of many cases where someone has one tank where the shrimp do breed but still gets shrimp from Hawaii for resale, without telling people, and then claims that they are his/her own captive-bred shrimp. That's why it's so important to know what freshly wild-caught shrimp look like. Erlina has no idea as she just started keeping these shrimp a few months ago and has a problem believing others, including me, which she has demonstrated quite often in this forum. There is nothing that can be done about it. So I am just going to stop responding. Again, those are wild-caught shrimp and there is no doubt about it. (Having said that I don't see any reason why one can't one day breed deeply red shrimp that actually stay that way their entire lives as opposed to the wild-caught ones that lose it after a months or a year or so.

In Malikta's case, however, she's talking about me as her "reputable source/breeder", so she's got plenty of evidence. I think you guys just had a little bit of a misunderstanding as you are on the same page actually. :D
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Mustafa wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:00 pmIn Malikta's case, however, she's talking about me as her "reputable source/breeder", so she's got plenty of evidence. I think you guys just had a little bit of a misunderstanding as you are on the same page actually. :D
Indeed, an embarrassing misunderstanding on my part there. :shock:
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Varanus wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:52 am
Mustafa wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:00 pmIn Malikta's case, however, she's talking about me as her "reputable source/breeder", so she's got plenty of evidence. I think you guys just had a little bit of a misunderstanding as you are on the same page actually. :D
Indeed, an embarrassing misunderstanding on my part there. :shock:

No big deal. :D Happens to the best of us.
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Flippers »

Mustafa wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:31 pm Trust me, they're not captive bred. Everyone who tries to sell these shrimp claims they are "captive-bred" because they know the laws and they also know how many people think that it's unethical to catch them from the few remaining mostly *protected* pools regardless of laws. "Captive-bred" sells better and makes the buyer feel more comfortable if they have a conscience. So these people simply claim "captive-bred" hoping that people can't tell the difference.

This scares me so much... I am a college student, so I don't have a ton of money to throw around...That being said, I REALLY want opae ulas from an ethical breeder. I searched online and I found much cheaper options claiming to be captive-bred, but, because of this website, I contacted them to ask how their breeding process worked...Many admitted to "introducing" wild-caught opae ulas to "diversify" the genetics pool. This makes me very, very uncomfortable...Opae ulas are SO cool and I've wanted them for years (I had an ecosphere on my sweet 16 wish list and my high school graduation wish list, thank goodness nobody bought me one...I didn't know they were so cruel!), but I want to be able to see them in the wild one day...free. I'm so excited to have my tank and do it right!
Malikta
Larva
Larva

Post by Malikta »

Erlina _rusli wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:55 am Yes without being asked he showed me all the pics an videos of his tanks and he dont do business like mustafa, he just supporting his hobby , im the one who looked for him not him reaching me. He also use small jar for the uncolored ones. :) And if someone said its because toddler yelling or noise that disturbed the shrimps that make it pale color, it didnt work for my shrimps, my tank really next to another tank with noisy filter going on and vibrate on my opae ula tank but my red ones still red. And loud tv noise next to my tank too.
So i just tell my own experiences... despite Whatever u all want to say....:)

Wow. You asked a question and I gave you my personal experience and now you've "disproven" it supposedly. Good luck, sounds like you're a pro now ... ✌️ !
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Flippers »

Erlina _rusli wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:54 pm Another deep red
Where did you get your moss ball?