ID this, pls

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

IKnowShrimp
Egg
Egg

ID this, pls

Post by IKnowShrimp »

Hi,

Anyone know the scientific name of this shrimp?

Jackie
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: ID this, pls

Post by Jackie »

IKnowShrimp wrote:Anyone know the scientific name of this shrimp?
Looks like a Rocket shrimp IMO. No scientific name yet from what I know.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I concur with Jackie. This shrimp has not been identified yet and hence has no scientific name. It hails from India. This one on the picture looks like a healthy specimen for a change. Sickly ones look orange or yellowish.

Mustafa
jwarper
Egg
Egg

Post by jwarper »

That is a very nice looking specimen. It seems to me that there are a lot of similar looking, yet unidentifiable shrimp out there. Could this be because of cross breeding between species?
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by amber2461 »

That is one bee-you-tee-full looking shrimp!
IKnowShrimp
Egg
Egg

Post by IKnowShrimp »

Mustafa wrote:I concur with Jackie. This shrimp has not been identified yet and hence has no scientific name. It hails from India. This one on the picture looks like a healthy specimen for a change. Sickly ones look orange or yellowish.

Mustafa
I am not sure if color indicate health, as I see full range of color in a hobbyist tank, yellow, orange, green and bluish-green.

It is a lower order breeding form, I suppose?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

IKnowShrimp wrote: I am not sure if color indicate health, as I see full range of color in a hobbyist tank, yellow, orange, green and bluish-green.

It is a lower order breeding form, I suppose?
I am 100% positive that certain color changes indicate how healthy a shrimp is. With this particular shrimp color changes indicate similar things as with the "Green Shrimp" (presumably Caridina cf. babaulti). My current population of green shrimp are all healthy and reproducing regularly. *ALL* of them are green all the time. There are absolutely no color changes whatsoever. When I received my first batch of Green Shrimp, which were all imported, they were exhiting color changes. Some shrimp would turn reddish, orange, and brownish greenish. However, they weren't healthy and they were totally stressed out.

The same applies to the "Rocket Shrimp" above. Trust me on this....if you have a healthy population of either "Green Shrimp" or "Rocket Shrimp" they will *all* be green. (Yes, I know that the sick and stressed out shrimp seem to behave normally and even eat and pick at things for weeks and sometimes even months....but that does not mean anything as I have observed shrimp eat and pick at things and seeming behave normally to the untrained eye right until the moment they literally dropped dead).

Mustafa
IKnowShrimp
Egg
Egg

Post by IKnowShrimp »

Is color of Caridina cf. babaulti spp. 'green' indicate healthy also?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

IKnowShrimp wrote:Is color of Caridina cf. babaulti spp. 'green' indicate healthy also?
Yes.
IKnowShrimp
Egg
Egg

Post by IKnowShrimp »

Mustafa wrote:
IKnowShrimp wrote:Is color of Caridina cf. babaulti spp. 'green' indicate healthy also?
Yes.

What about those brown offsprings from healthy green Caridina cf. babaulti spp. 'green' ? Brown mean sick in this case too?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

IKnowShrimp wrote:
What about those brown offsprings from healthy green Caridina cf. babaulti spp. 'green' ? Brown mean sick in this case too?
My green shrimp don't have brown offspring. They are *all* green and my shrimp and offspring are all healthy. Discoloration means stress/sickness most of the time (with some minor exceptions). How many more times do I have to still say that? If you don't want to accept it it's your perogative, but this is the last time I am going to say this. Why should it matter if the parents or the offspring are brown/organge if I said that discoloration indicates stress/sickness. Offspring can get stressed out just like the parents.
IKnowShrimp
Egg
Egg

Post by IKnowShrimp »

Mustafa wrote:
IKnowShrimp wrote:
My green shrimp don't have brown offspring. They are *all* green and my shrimp and offspring are all healthy. Discoloration means stress/sickness most of the time (with some minor exceptions). How many more times do I have to still say that? If you don't want to accept it it's your perogative, but this is the last time I am going to say this. Why should it matter if the parents or the offspring are brown/organge if I said that discoloration indicates stress/sickness. Offspring can get stressed out just like the parents.
So now there is "some minor exception"? Before that you claim that out of normal color equal to sick? The out of normal color offspring from Green Neon can grow to adult and still remain as brown/orange, they have been stressed for whole life? Green Neon Shrimps have been imported into USA, and alot of hobbyist will able to experience what I said.

Does Malayan blue mean stressed and malayan red mean healthy? Or the other way round? How about Malayan Brown. Please enlighten me.

Crystal red and bee are same speces, one is black, one is red. Does that mean crystal red is stressed? Or if you put one bee in a tank of crystal red, and because bee in one black amount all red, does not mean black is stressed?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Although I have given up hope that you will ever understand anything I am saying, I will try it one more time...
IKnowShrimp wrote: So now there is "some minor exception"?
--Yes, the exception is when immature males *appear* to be almost see-through.

Before that you claim that out of normal color equal to sick? The out of normal color offspring from Green Neon can grow to adult and still remain as brown/orange, they have been stressed for whole life?
--Yes, they can be. If your adverse water parameters that probaby caused the discoloration to begin with remain just as adverse as before, the shrimp will not feel well. Suriving does not equal thriving. I don't know why this is so hard to understand for you. From the way you talk I can tell that you have not had all that much experience with these shrimp...
Green Neon Shrimps have been imported into USA, and alot of hobbyist will able to experience what I said.
--I have no doubt they will experience what you said because imported shrimp are all half-dead when they arrive here anyway. So, yes, they will see a lot of orange/brown/reddish "green shrimp."
Does Malayan blue mean stressed and malayan red mean healthy? Or the other way round? How about Malayan Brown. Please enlighten me.
--No idea. I have never kept "Malayans." Besides, I don't really think that you *can* be enlightened at all as the green shrimp discussion has shown.
Crystal red and bee are same speces, one is black, one is red. Does that mean crystal red is stressed? Or if you put one bee in a tank of crystal red, and because bee in one black amount all red, does not mean black is stressed?
--What does this have to do with anything? You are talking complete nonsense now (before it was partial nonsense...now it has evolved into complete nonsense :?). The red color in Crystal Reds is genetically linked as I have discussed in another thread before. There is no genetic reason why a green shrimp would turn orange...it's environmental. This shows how much you *really* understand about shrimp (=next to nothing).

Instead of stubbornly insisting on things and making yourself out to actually know about shrimp, I would maybe do some more research and observe more meticulously before making yourself ridicilous with statements such as the ones about the bee shrimp and the crystal reds.

Having said all this...I did see some shrimp before that were almost blood red and externally looked like green shrimp. However, they never survived for long and *all* of them were imported. *All* of my domestically hatched green shrimp young have been green all their lives and *never* changed color. Now they are adults carrying eggs and are still green.
Last edited by Mustafa on Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
IKnowShrimp
Egg
Egg

Post by IKnowShrimp »

You got it, it is color is based on genes. How are you so sure that Green shrimp does not have brown/orange genes? And how can you simply assime brown/orange shrimp in batch of green are simply sick? And even you never see that before?

Ask the Germans, they imported green shrimps many years ago, many of the hobbyists has brown/orange offsprings, do a search in the net you will see these photo. There is no need for me to say more and soon, hobbyists in USA will have large amount of green shrimp, I am sure someone will see orange/brown offspring or even in those that are sold in shop.

You have been claiming out of normal color means sick, flat across this forum, and have yet to mention genes does affect color. I bring it up to direct you to the right path and yet you said I am complete nonsense.

I am very glad that the first few mutated CRS was found in Japan, if they where in your tank, they could be taken as sick shrimps and has no chance to spread to this part of the earth. :D

Simply I want to put across is, out of normal color, a shrimp does not necessary mean sick. (Although I agree sick shrimp has different color, but not all cases, a healthy looking shrimp can drop dead in the next second)They can be affected by genes, as simple as that. A good example is Malayan shrimps, they can be in many color and that why they are called Rainbow shrimps. If you are lucky, you can find different color, if you are not so, you may find 1 color from your purchase. And if you are the unlucky one that as single color Malayan shrimps, don't insists that Malayan shrimp has only 1 color. Green shrimps do have healthy color variation like Malayan, however, the portion is much smaller, so don''t insist to label out of normal color Green shrimp as sick if you don;t have it. It shows that you

- have not much luck in getting other color
- experience
- the population you have is small
- we can be talking about different traits
- or even different collection points of the wild speciments or bred.

So don't see shrimps color through a keyhole, the world is much bigger there. No point to insist out of normal color shrimp is sick and I am out of this debate. Just remember what I said, although I can't convince you now, one day you will completely understand what I said.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Trust me....I know the difference between a sick shrimp and a color variation. As to the "Germans", well...I am one of the "Germans." I know everyone of importance in the invertebrate hobby there and they all know me. We exchange information all the time. So don't tell me to go to the "Germans" to learn about Green Shrimp or shrimp in General....that's ridiculous and utterly stupid. I am one of the most experienced and knowledgeable "Germans" so I suppose I should go to myself and learn from myself.

It's funny how people like you who barely started keeping shrimp and kill more shrimp than they breed (if they breed any at all) come here and pretend to be experts. I don't remember you or anyone else putting up a website such as mine with all the information I have put up. That's thousands of hours of observations and hard work. And still there is no website out there that even comes close to this one. And someone like you, who can't tell the difference between a sick shrimp and a color variation, comes along and wastes my time with utter nonsense.

I suggest you go learn more about shrimp and how to keep them, how to recognize disease and how to breed them and keep them alive over several generations before coming here and spreading total nonsense.

By the way....since you don't seem to know anything about genetics let me teach you some basics. Genes, pretty much permanently affect traits in animals. A green shrimp turning orange or yellow has absolutely NOTHING to do with genes. I hope you get that into your head.

People like you who keep insisting on their nonsense assertions and back their nonsense up with even more nonesense make me wonder why I am even wasting my time here replying to such nonsense.

Using one's brain is really *not* that difficult...just do it and you might be utterly surprised at what a working brain can actually do.

There seems to be an epidemic of intellectually "challenged" people recently. I just banned a person the other day and along comes another challenged individual....I really should have an intelligence test as a precondition to being a member in this forum. A minimum level of intelligence should be established before letting anyone participate in discussions here. That way I could minimize the chances of another intellectually challenged individual wasting my already scarce time here by making me respond to his/her nonsense assertions over and over again. Intelligent discussion is one thing but stubborn insistance on wrong information based on speculation instead of observation is another. This is getting really annoying! :smt013 :smt076