Shrimp tank critters

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

flash69x
Egg
Egg

Shrimp tank critters

Post by flash69x »

So for a few months now i have had a shrimp only tank, well there are a few ottos but they don't count. Anyways, i noticed a few weeks ago that there were these little white round bugs swimming around. They swim around fairly fast and in and erratic pattern. Recently their population has exploded and I just wanted to make sure that these things aren't going to cause any problems. Has anyone else seen anything like this?
fugly
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by fugly »

You have ostracods. They don't do any harm to fish or shrimp, but their population growth is a direct result of the food source (that is, how much food there is for them to feed on).
Urkevitz
Egg
Egg

Post by Urkevitz »

Be glad you don't have planaria. I had them in my shrimp tank once and they were all over the place.
csmike
Larva
Larva

Post by csmike »

I got both =( unfortunately. However, their populations are under control.

I wonder if anyone has any way to remove these buggers completely without tearing down the tank ... etc?
rclover
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by rclover »

I was wondering the as csmike, and do ostracods eat plants?
Shanna
Larva
Larva

Post by Shanna »

I've never heard of this before. I have 2 shrimp (and snails) only tanks. How do you get these little bugs?....... so I can avoid it.
flash69x
Egg
Egg

Post by flash69x »

well I'm not sure how I got them. I don't really don't put much food in there at all. I put a few shirmp pellets in there once a week so I know I am not over feeding. The only thing I see them eat are dead shrmp when they happen to die, and shrimp poo. I have no idea how I got them in there,they just showed up. Besides initial setup, the only thing that has been added is water and some food. They only showed up recently. I put a guppy in there for a few hours and he ate a lot of them.
rclover
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by rclover »

Was it a female or male guppy?
imisky
Larva
Larva

Post by imisky »

baby guppies fry tend to eat up alot of the planaria and ostracods as i used that for planaria control once....but it kind of went down the drain after a Kh spike.

ostracods does not eat plants instead they eat algae

as for the planaria problem, use some trumpet snails, as planarias live off of decaying stuff, such as dead leaves or poo from your shrimps.trumpet snails dig under the gravel so they can get to places you cant. also a cory will help with the situation of planaria
Shanna
Larva
Larva

Post by Shanna »

You mention corys and guppies to take care of this problem. Can I put corys or guppys in my shrimp tank, or will they eat the baby shrimp? I don't have these little bugs (but someday I may), but I do have a problem keeping the tank as clean as I would like.
imisky
Larva
Larva

Post by imisky »

guppy fry 1-3weeks old will be baby shrimp eating free...once there mouth gets big enough...thats another story. as far as i know cories will clean the gravel, but i dont have any problem with the smaller shrimps i have in there with my panda cory this is in a shrimp only tank
rclover
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by rclover »

guppys and corys can go along with shrimp, no harm. Can I use feeder guppys?
imisky
Larva
Larva

Post by imisky »

adult guppies will eat baby shrimps......i suggest only use new borns for the planaria control...or some trumpet snails to get rid of the enviroment that planarias like
rclover
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by rclover »

Anything else that is shrimp and plant safe that eats ostracods?
chlorophyll
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by chlorophyll »

Why don't you guys like ostracods? Cypris are just cute little wandering specks :-D