Ataya breeding

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

edinjapan
Shrimp
Shrimp

Ataya breeding

Post by edinjapan »

Has anyone here tried breeding the large African filter feeding shrimp or thier smaller relatives?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

When I had a pair of Atyopsis moluccensis, my female was producing tons of larvae every 40-50 days or so. I never bothered to put the larvae in Saltwater/brackish water to see if I can rear them. I don't see any reason why they should be harder to rear than say C. japonica.

It seems however, that most people have problems even getting their filter shrimp to carry eggs.

With Atya sp. specifically I have never seen females imported. The exporters seem to like exporting the large-legged males, which look a lot more impressive than the females. Hence, I could not even tell you exactly how females look since I have never seen any. I think that's the main problem with breeding them...finding a viable pair.

Mustafa
chlorophyll
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by chlorophyll »

Perhaps out of convenience of course, but maybe they also throw back females to help preserve their wild shrimp stock. Would be great to end up with a female one though.
GunmetalBlue
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by GunmetalBlue »

Mustafa, may I ask, is the Bamboo shrimp pictured in your varieties page a male? I see a slimmer body and a fairly wide first leg (for a Bamboo). Or are the leg comparisons only relative when sexing African Filter Shrimp? Thanks.

Hi Ed, my answer to your question is no. I have Bamboo shrimp and have a feeling they are the same sex.

-GB
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yes, the one on the picture is a male. The females first pair of walking legs are much thinner and her body is stockier.
edinjapan
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by edinjapan »

Mustafa wrote:Yes, the one on the picture is a male. The females first pair of walking legs are much thinner and her body is stockier.
Are there any photos showing the sex differences?
chlorophyll
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by chlorophyll »

Hmm, are they way off or what?
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod ... CatId=1842
The Singapore Flower Shrimp is considered a "Higher Order Decapod" when describing their reproduction method. The eggs are carried by the mother for approximately 28 days. When the eggs hatch, the young are almost fully developed and look like a miniature form of their parents. The fry do not require different foods than the parents, just smaller in size.
edinjapan
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by edinjapan »

chlorophyll wrote:Hmm, are they way off or what?
The Singapore Flower Shrimp is considered a "Higher Order Decapod" when describing their reproduction method. The eggs are carried by the mother for approximately 28 days. When the eggs hatch, the young are almost fully developed and look like a miniature form of their parents. The fry do not require different foods than the parents, just smaller in size.
I've been wondering about these guys for quite some time. Every summer there is an influx of these guys from Singapore and there nevers eems to be any berried females in the tanks. I guess I'll just have to find a collector in their home range to get me some.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

chlorophyll wrote:Hmm, are they way off or what?
Yes, they are way off...as usual. :roll:
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

edinjapan wrote:
Mustafa wrote:Yes, the one on the picture is a male. The females first pair of walking legs are much thinner and her body is stockier.
Are there any photos showing the sex differences?
Yes. Female:

http://www.akwa.aip.pl/krew.jpg

Male:

http://www.petshrimp.com/images/bambooshrimp.jpg

Look at the difference in size in the first pair of walking legs among other things.
chlorophyll
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by chlorophyll »

Just observed that picture of "Singapore Flower Shrimp" at liveaquaria does appear to be female. As far as can be seen in that smallish pic.
felis
Egg
Egg

Post by felis »

My local Petco started carrying them recently and they have both males and females.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Atyopsis

Post by badflash »

An educated consumer is our best customer...
The 3 2" bamboo shrimp I have appear to be all female. Now that I know what to look for, it's back to petco for a male.

Has anyone actually hatched any? I've seen conflicting reports that they hatch as young adults, not as plankton.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

I've hatched them. They hatch as larvae for sure.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Atyopsis

Post by badflash »

So they need salt water for sure just like amanos? I've seen some articles that claim these guys live in brackish water. Have you gotton any to the shrimp stage?