New to cherry shrimp - advice appreciated

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Altum
Egg
Egg

Post by Altum »

Hello
I just got 10 red cherry shrimp Sunday, and set up a little shrimp tank. I'd really like to breed them. I counted 8 of the 10 Monday but didn't see any dead ones. Do cherries climb out of tanks as badly as Amanos?

I have a cycled bare-bottom 2.5 gallon tank, so I threw in a bunch of Christmas tree moss, a chunk of bogwood, and a handfull of hornwort and anacharis from the pond. I put a sponge on the nanofilter intake. The tank gets enough indirect sun to grow medium light plants. There's also fluffy string algae on the pond plants and I can keep giving the shrimp a fresh supply. Does this sound like a reasonable home?

ALso, how many shrimp can live in a 2.5 gallon planted tank before I have to find something bigger?

TIA for any help,
Alltum
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

My personal experience is that neither cherries or amano try to climb out. They are really small so if they die and you have something like a big snail, or even other shrimp, there will be nothing left in a few hours.

Ghost shrimp are huge jumpers. As far as size, I would go bigger, but everyone tells me I'm too small too. Small tanks can go bad really fast as there isn't much cushion. 10 gallons is a real nice size to work with.

I'm too new to this to give you a shrimp/gallon number. A lot depends on how to filter your water and how much you feed them. I'm still making mistakes and don't want to pass on mistakes.
GunmetalBlue
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by GunmetalBlue »

Hi Altum and welcome to the forum. :)

If you're interested in breeding RCS, Badflash is right, setting up a simple 10 gallon shrimp tank is the way to go.

Let's say two females give birth to 25 shrimplets each (and this isn't counting the fact that they'll probably get pregnant again). You'd have 60 RCS stuffed in a little 2.5 gallon. It might not look so bad at first because the the shrimplets are so tiny, but most likely, you'd want them to have room to grow and thrive. And yes, a larger tank will be more stable parameter-wise too.

My experience is my RCS have never tried to climb out. I've not owned Amanos so no comment on those.

-GB
Altum
Egg
Egg

Post by Altum »

So far so good...the shrimp seem content and I still have the eight I had after the first night. I never did find the remaining two bodies but maybe the other shrimp ate them. I'm very relieved RCS won't try to climb out.

There's not much algae in the shrimp tank despite the sunlight, so I'm tossing bits of hair algae in from the pond. I've never deliberately put live algae in a tank before! :lol: The RCS seem to like it, though.

I hadn't thought about getting 25 shrimplets at once, and from multiple females. These critters sound as bad as guppies. I guess I'd better be thinking about a 10g tank fairly soon.

Thanks for the help!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

The only reason any shrimp or fish would jump/climb out is because there is a source of stress in the tank. No species is inclined to just leave the tank for no reason. Some species are just more sensitive than others, but either way the aquarium hobbyist should always attempt to eliminate any source of stress at all times.
Kenshin
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Kenshin »

I never had any RCS or shrimps in general trying to climb out either.