Albino possibility???

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Pigheaddd
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Albino possibility???

Post by Pigheaddd »

Dear all,

This was what I got this afternoon at my LFS. I have been told last week(10 days ago) who work there that it just took off old shell thats why it was snow white. When I went there this afternoon, I saw it still in the tank with snow white coloration, so what wouldl you do if you were me, especially it was the same price as normal one? The two small VS I have had at least 3~4 months in my captivity. I have never seen them with snow white color after take off old shells. Here is my questions for you.

1. How could it survive in the wild if it is albino? As far as I know that VS are all wild caught and no record with captive bred. VS grows pretty slow. The two that I have still remain the similar size as 3~4 months ago.

2. I think it is possible exam it by DNA to see if it is albino, but where can I go ask? I am really interested in to know if it is albino or not. Will researchers kill it if they get blood or whatever from it?

It is really hard to tell if the eyes are pink or not. VS has very tiny but cute eyes.

Those are two questions that I have had so far. All opinion are welcome and thanks to sharing your opinion. I will keep updated!

http://www.toninastyle.com/albino.htm
Last edited by Pigheaddd on Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fishfry
Egg
Egg

Post by fishfry »

that is one creepy VS!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

It's definitely not an albino. It has been documented that dark Atya gabonensis can turn white after moting. Your shrimp will most likely darken again with time.

Mustafa
Pigheaddd
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Pigheaddd »

Petshrimp.com wrote:It's definitely not an albino. It has been documented that dark Atya gabonensis can turn white after moting. Your shrimp will most likely darken again with time.

Mustafa
Mustafa,

Where can I find that document if you do not mind? I am really curious now. What cause it?

This shrimp has this coloration at least 7~10 days, so when will it dark again? Did that document mention how long it take to get color back?

Thanks for info and I will keep updated!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

There is no document. It has been "documented" by several people I know in Germany. As I implied...your shrimp will probably turn dark, but it might not..who knows. I don't keep any Atya gabonensis, so I can't really give you more info.

Mustafa
Pigheaddd
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Pigheaddd »

Mustafa,

Thanks for reply and sorry about misunderstood! I sent out about 40 emails to biologists, zoologists, researchers, and scientists yesterday night. Hope someone will interested in this topic and email me back with explanation.

Thanks,
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by amber2461 »

I have 2 Atya gabonensis ... both of them male. I have seen the Alpha male molt, he was quite a pale grey but turned dark over the months.

The other male, didn't turn darker but remained a lighter shade of blue-grey. I have read somewhere that only the Alpha male will retain the dark grey-blue colour.

I have seen a picture of a white Atya gabonensis here at this link though.

http://www.wirbellose.de/arten.cgi?acti ... &artNo=030

Is this the colour that you were refering to? It looks beautiful though, any colour, they are a beautiful species of shrimp. :-D
Pigheaddd
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Pigheaddd »

amber2461 wrote:I have 2 Atya gabonensis ... both of them male. I have seen the Alpha male molt, he was quite a pale grey but turned dark over the months.

The other male, didn't turn darker but remained a lighter shade of blue-grey. I have read somewhere that only the Alpha male will retain the dark grey-blue colour.

I have seen a picture of a white Atya gabonensis here at this link though.

http://www.wirbellose.de/arten.cgi?acti ... &artNo=030

Is this the colour that you were refering to? It looks beautiful though, any colour, they are a beautiful species of shrimp. :-D
Hi Amber2461,

Thanks for link. Can you tell me how to tell if its male or female? That is a german website or? I do not understand it. Too bad, but I am going to email them to see if they will reply me.

Thanks a lot,
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

You have males Tim. The males have those enormously large front legs.

Mustafa
Pigheaddd
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Pigheaddd »

Petshrimp.com wrote:You have males Tim. The males have those enormously large front legs.

Mustafa
Thanks Mustafa! :D :D :D I think even I know its a male. I have nothing to do about it now. :-D
Pigheaddd
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Pigheaddd »

Dear all,

I got some info from friends. It may be true, so albino shrimp will not have pink eyes.

If animals do not have black pigment, we call it albino. Humans, dogs, cats, fishes, frogs blood contain haemoglobin; therefore, when albino occur(no black pigment), the eyes are pink, but insects, snails, cockroaches, shrimps have only hemocynin which mean their blood are blue/green not red; therefore, when albino occur(no black pigment), the eyes will be blue/green not pink.

If this is true, I think it is an albino shrimp.
Pigheaddd
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Pigheaddd »

Pigheaddd wrote:Dear all,

I got some info from friends. It may be true, so albino shrimp will not have pink eyes.

If animals do not have black pigment, we call it albino. Humans, dogs, cats, fishes, frogs blood contain haemoglobin; therefore, when albino occur(no black pigment), the eyes are pink, but insects, snails, cockroaches, shrimps have only hemocynin which mean their blood are blue/green not red; therefore, when albino occur(no black pigment), the eyes will be blue/green not pink.

If this is true, I think it is an albino shrimp.
Here is another reply from my friend. He is a medical doctor.

Dear Tim,

Wow, it's an interesting question !
The reason why albino specimens has red eyes is the pupil is red.( no melanin)
It's not due to hemoglobin. So, I think even for insect, the albino should still has
red eyes, no matter they have "血青素hemocynin" instead of red hemoglobin.

But I'll ask this interesting question to teachers who teach biology in junior high school here.

Tell you later !

PETER
Acsuth
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Acsuth »

Atya gabonensis
Anybody have any other links about this species? Will they eat dwarf shrimp?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Did you even read what I wrote about this shrimp on this websiste?

http://www.petshrimp.com/africanfiltershrimp.html

That answers your question.

Mustafa
Acsuth
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Acsuth »

hm. I missed that one. Yes, that answers my questions. Thanks for pointing it out.