Can I take it to 86'F?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Constantine24
<b>BANNED</b>

Can I take it to 86'F?

Post by Constantine24 »

I have a case of Ich going on in my tank and I am using Quick Cure to fight it; after reading enough about Ich, articles state that if I can take my aquarium temperature up to 86'F it will stop the cycle (Although they say if I take it to 89'F it will kill all Ich, and I imagine the fish as well). Do you think my Cherry and Ghost Shrimp can survive in a temperature of 86'F for about 4 days at most?
gr81
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by gr81 »

Cheery probably can survive, but it is critical temperature. About Amano I don't know.
btw: what is it Ich?
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Ich is almost always the result of water quality problems. How often do you do water changes? If you are not changing the water by at least 20% every week, you are going to have trouble.

You should isolate the sick fish in a separate tank from the shrimp and treat them there.

http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/disease/whitespot.htm has some good info. The easiest treatment is a little salt, but I've no experience with how tolerant your shrimp are to salt.
Constantine24
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by Constantine24 »

Yeah it ich. I've been doing the 20% water changes weekly, I just made a real foolish error. I bought my fish from Petco instead of a L.F.S. and I realize now that a couple filters run all the tanks in the store, so that if a fish is sick 5 tanks away from the tank you buy your fish from its bad news. I went back to Petco yesterday and noticed that the tank my fish came from had fish with Ich. Even if I quarantine the fish the parasites are still floating in the water and substrate. So I have to really treat the tank the fish are secondary.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

The only think you can really treat is the floating larva. Salt kills them and usually doesn't hurt most fish. I don't think shrimp get Ich but I can't say for sure.
seansd
Egg
Egg

only had ich outbreak once

Post by seansd »

Involving my guppies. Basically the higher the temperature, the less time the ich has to find a host to attach to before dying.
For my tank, I slowly raised the temp over 3-4 days to the low or mid 80's and increased aeration with extra airstones. Ich was gone in less than two weeks.
If you do the temp treatment, don't raise it so high as to stress your fish/shrimp as that would increase their vulnerability. Also, extra cleaning of tank, especially the gravel would help to reduce parasite density.
fishbreed
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by fishbreed »

haeh petco. my local petco has had most of their tanks not for sale for the last 2 months straight. i asked the guy why, he said they got a case of ick and since they are on a central filtering system the ick keeps getting passed around and around.
Earthgoddess
Larva
Larva

Post by Earthgoddess »

Hey I know this is a little late but I reciently used Pima fix for the 7 days and that seemed to work for me with what I think was ick

Shrimp in tank all did fine just thought I would share for future help if nothing else
demented_lullaby
Larva
Larva

Post by demented_lullaby »

pimafix doesn't treat ich. Watch your tank closely. Just because you don't see it anymore doesn't mean it might not pop back up. Ich can be very tricky to get rid of. I always use salt first, half dose if you have sensitive stuff in the tank. I haven't had to treat with salt and shrimp since shrimp don't get ich and my shrimps are alone now so I doubt I ever will. Are they easily effected by aquarium salt?