"Rainbow" Shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

51Cornell
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

"Rainbow" Shrimp

Post by 51Cornell »

On Robyn's Shrimp Species Page, she thinks these are Caridina/Neocaridina sp. "zeylanica" perhaps. Does anyone info on these shrimp?
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Bradimus »

zeylanica =? Ceylon = Sri Lanka

They are probably the shrimp sold under the dubious common name "Malaysian Rainbow Shrimp". I don't think anyone knows the proper scientific name for these. There may be multiple species being offered under this name.

Assuming the are (Neo)Caridina, their care should be the same as the other algae-eaters on the Shrimp Varieties Page. The only real question would be as to whether or not they need brackish water to reproduce.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

You could have done just a search in this forum. Here is what I wrote to Brad's question about Rainbow Shrimp some time ago. Read the second post from the top to answers to your questions:

viewtopic.php?t=50&highlight=rainbow

Mustafa
PS: The main species in this mix of Indian shrimp called "Rainbow Shrimp" does not need brackish water for its larvae. I am breeding it here en masse as we speak. Most others in this Rainbow mix do not not brackish water either, but I have discovered one species that does.