red cherry and nitrate

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Raven
Egg
Egg

red cherry and nitrate

Post by Raven »

hi.
how sensitive are red cherrys to nitrate ?
how sensitive are amanos to nitrate ?

Regards
Raven
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Nitrate Levels

Post by badflash »

Try using the search function on Nitrate.
Here are some results:

viewtopic.php?t=206&highlight=nitrate

viewtopic.php?t=248&highlight=nitrate+level
Raven
Egg
Egg

Post by Raven »

i have search didnt find anything.
and the 2 links wasnt even remotly close to what my question is about so i still wonder how much nitrate they can take without problems.
Ibn
Egg
Egg

Post by Ibn »

20-30 ppm easily. Running my planted tanks at those levels.
Raven
Egg
Egg

Post by Raven »

thanks for the answer Ibn :)
Ricard
Egg
Egg

Post by Ricard »

Hello everyone!

My first message on this site - intresting! :D
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Nitrates and Shrimp

Post by badflash »

Raven, sorry you didn't find those references helpfull. In them the effects of nitrates on both red cherries and amanos was discussed. Mustafa and others seem to indicate that the only safe level of nitrate is zero.

Ibn- What shrimp are you keeping at 20-30 ppm nitrate, and what nitrate are you adding to get that? I'd be most interested if my nitrates and phosphate could be raised safely.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Although it still requires further observation, nitrate sensitivity seems to be different among the various shrimp species. As with other things, red cherries seem less sensitive to it than many other species. i have also had red cherries at 10-30 ppm, but I would recommend as low a level of nitrate as possible to be on the safe side, at least until further observations shed more light on this issue.
alexperez
Egg
Egg

Post by alexperez »

I keep my nitrates at about 20ppm and my PO4 at about 2-3ppm Heavily planted tanks with CO2 injection. And I have not noticed any negative effectes on the Cherry,Tiger or Bumblee Bee shrimp.

I wonder since this an inorganic form of Nitrate then it might not affect them the same way as Organic Nitrate?????

Regards,
Alex
Ibn
Egg
Egg

Post by Ibn »

Currently keeping cherries, Cambarellus shulfertii, that UNID shrimp, amanos, and crystal reds. Just got my shipment of Cambarellus patzcuarensis minutes ago and will be keeping those in similar environments as well.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

What Nitrate?

Post by badflash »

So what are you using? saltpeter or something else?
Shady
Larva
Larva

Post by Shady »

alexperez wrote:
I wonder since this an inorganic form of Nitrate then it might not affect them the same way as Organic Nitrate?????
Not sure what forms of organic nitrate you are referring to, but NO3 nitrate is the one of concern. Since the mechanism of nitrate uptake is through tissues and gills, I don't think you need to be concerned with organic nitrate, if you even have any.
DatDamWuf
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by DatDamWuf »

I've had a couple of amanos in a 5 gallon tank with consistent nitrate levels of 40 ppm for over a year and they are healthy, moult regularly and the female carries eggs all the time. My well water is nearly 40 ppm right out of the tap...

My new tank is at 10-15 but it's likely to rise because I can't get my RO reconstituted the way I want to and have about given up - so I've been mixing the RO with the well water half and half.
Ibn
Egg
Egg

Post by Ibn »

Just using some KNO3 from Greg Watson at the moment. Will go with some KNO3 picked up from a greens maintenance place.
Raven
Egg
Egg

Post by Raven »

has there been mail problems here ?
several answers i have been unaware of.
DatDamWuf wrote:I've had a couple of amanos in a 5 gallon tank with consistent nitrate levels of 40 ppm for over a year and they are healthy,
thanks for the numbers now i know more specificly what to NOT aim on.