Cherry shrimp temperature surprise

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Lotus
Shrimp
Shrimp

Cherry shrimp temperature surprise

Post by Lotus »

I put some cherry shrimp in my small patio pond last summer, as a small experiment.

Today I went to clear some algae from the pond and clean out the fountain pump, and found a cherry in the pond! Yes, in January! The temps here have been getting down to the mid-30s Farenheit this last week, and when I tested the pond water temp, it was around 50F (it was a cheap aquarium thermometer, not sure if it was accurate). Anyway, I just thought I would share :)
GunmetalBlue
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by GunmetalBlue »

Hi Lotus, another testament to the hardiness of Red Cherries? Amazing creatures they are! :)

Mid-30's (F.) in so Cal? You must either be near the mountains or the high desert ... :-D That's just way too cold for me. :wink:
Lotus
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Lotus »

That's the lowest night temp :) It's been in the high 60s/low 70s during the day. I'm in the Palm Springs area.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

It's not all that surprising if one considers that these are actually not tropical shrimp. The range of the various Neocaridina denticulata subspecies includes areas of asia that receive snow in the winter and are much colder year-round than southern california.

I guess it's just surprising that something so colorful is not tropical. :)
gr81
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by gr81 »

One of my tank is situated in nontempered room. In winter watter temperatures falls to 44°F and Cherry don't seems to have a problem :)
As I heared Bees can take about 50°F, but I didn't try.