Aquaclear or Penguin Biowheel?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Cubano
Egg
Egg

Aquaclear or Penguin Biowheel?

Post by Cubano »

Which filter is better suited for Shrimp keeping? Aqauclear or Penguin biowheels, for a 10 gallon tank?
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I would not use either. Both can suck shrimp in. Biowheels are also not reliable in my experience.
Cubano
Egg
Egg

Post by Cubano »

Other then UGF what would/should I use? Can't i just put a sponge over the intake? Will they do their job?
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

I use an aquaclear in a shrimp tank with great success, but you do have to put a sponge over the intake.

I have found that a replacement sponge for a "Tetra Billi" works great to cover the intake of must smaller power filters. It costs about $3.

For my 10 gallon shrimp tank, I am using the Aquaclear 50. Yes, I know that it is rated for up to a 50 gallon tank, but the flow rate is significantly reduced by the sponge. By selecting an oversized filter, you can overcome the flow reduction of the sponge and can adjust the flow to a lower level if needed. Also, this larger filter is great because it has a very large sized media basket which will aid in improving the biological filtration in the tank.

I had tried using a Penguin Biowheel Mini filter that I had in storage, but its flow rate was reduced to almost nothing with the sponge added to the intake. Even when the sponge was new and clean, the flow rate was too low to spin the biowheel.
shrimpbaby
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpbaby »

I use sponge filters on my shrimp tanks. They are connected to airpumps. I have used both boiwheel and aquaclear HOB filters with adult shrimp, but unless you put a songe on the intake like Yucca suggested, you'll suck up the baby shrimp.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

My problem with them is if you block the flow the darn wheels don't turn, then they are just a regular filter.
JayD976
Larva
Larva

Post by JayD976 »

i also use a AC w/sponge over intake with no problems
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

I do the same as JayD976.

TKD
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

In all of my tanks, which all have shrimp of species or another, I use ACs.

I fit the intake with an AC sponge (you can get one AC 20 sponge for $1.99 at PetSmart, cut it into 1/2 and you've got 2 sponges to use for an intake cover, and you can also get a pack of 3, which is also cheaper in the long-run). Also, if you go to PetSmart, arm yourself with product printouts from their website for bargains! They will sell their in-store products for their on-line prices.

I also have a DIY water deflector on all of my ACs. You can use the side of a 20 oz. bottle taped or siliconed to the top of the filter so that it goes in the water. I personally prefer a small sized gladware container with the top rim and the bottom cut off--the plastic is much more dense and won't lose it's shape in a short amount of time. This creates little to no current and slows it down.

Oh, and I keep the filter on low, excpet on my 30 gallon that has the bamboo shrimp in it--they need a current to catch their food. I also planted Java ferns and stuck in small pieces of driftwood under the "waterfall" of the filter so that they have sturdy structures to sit on while they eat.
JayD976
Larva
Larva

Post by JayD976 »

i use these or sumthing similar slides right over intake

http://bigalsonline.com/catalog/product ... 965;pcid2=
BM
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by BM »

I also perfer sponge over biowheel type filters. Sponge filters have more surface area for biological and mechanical filtration. Not to mention the sponges are reusable and can be easily cleaned compared to the filter cartridges.
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

BM wrote:I also perfer sponge over biowheel type filters. Sponge filters have more surface area for biological and mechanical filtration. Not to mention the sponges are reusable and can be easily cleaned compared to the filter cartridges.
yes, i agree with the sponge filter. but with the biowheels, the wheel is to never to be replaced. the cartridges can either be cut open, if you have the patience, and the carbon removed after 5 days of use, and then you only have to replace it after it falls apart, which is about once a year. you could also (again, after 5 days) replace it with some other type of filter media that will fit in there.
Rebgen
Egg
Egg

Post by Rebgen »

FWIW, here's my experience. I've been using a Penguin 150B biowheel on my 20 gal. long planted shrimp tank with excellent results so far. My shrimp colony is only a few months old but they are reproducing very well.

I decided to try just using the filter with any extra protection around the intake and I haven't noticed ant babies getting sucked in. I watch as they actually swim up to the lower section of the intake and graze off the algae growing on the strainer.

If any babies are actually getting sucked in, it has to be very small numbers.
demented_lullaby
Larva
Larva

Post by demented_lullaby »

I really like AC filters in general. I prefer to use them, on my shrimp tank I simply put a piece of filter foam over the insert like some others in this thread do :). It works well for me.

You could also use pantyhose! Works great and you don't have a big foam block lol.

good luck with whatever ya choose! Cover your intakes no matter what IMO :)
Terran
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Terran »

demented_lullaby wrote:
You could also use pantyhose! Works great and you don't have a big foam block lol.
good luck with whatever ya choose! Cover your intakes no matter what IMO :)
Yeah I use a pantyhose over my intake....every three days or so the pantyhose seems to get blocked up with debrie and it restricts flow....but its rather easy to clean.....