how many cherrys per tank?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

taheton
Egg
Egg

how many cherrys per tank?

Post by taheton »

hi do you know how many cherrys can i have per gallon? or how mutch amonia does a cherry produce?
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

The real question should be how much ammonia, nitrite or nitrate can a cherry shrimp take? The answer is not much which is more than most other shrimp can take. By this I mean, the number of dwarf shrimp one can keep is limited more by the quality of the water and its parameters than the size of the tank, please correct me if I am wrong :wink:

Shrimp produce a smaller bioload (waste/toxins) than fish do. So if you have a good filtration/cleaning system that keeps the water clean and can keep the water parameters optimal for the shrimp then you can keep more shrimp per space than if the conditons were poor.
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

Cherry shrimp will stop producing eggs if/when they become overcrowded. I have had several hundred of various sizes in a 10 gallon when I noticed the females weren't producing eggs. When they reach that point, I remove/sell most of the mid-size juvies, leaving the adults and small young. The last round, I ended up removing a good number of adults as well to cover the numbers sold, then added a couple dozen new ones from other sources to mix some fresh genes into the pool.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I concur that the numbers are self limiting. Once you get over around 50 adults in a 10 gallon tank, they slow down or stop all together. If you keep about 25 breeders in a tank you'll get loads of babies to distribute.
taheton
Egg
Egg

thank you very mutch

Post by taheton »

thank you very mutch im going to make a thesis about this shrimp, thats the reason i want to know how many per gallon and if thery will reproduce, if someone know the amonia produces by them would be usefull detail, also i would apresiate to know the maximum groth since i have some transparent females tha double the zice of a common female
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Hi taheton
I had a 30 gallon Aquarium and when I had to move it, I removed nearly 500 Adult/sub-Adults not to include the newly hatched young that I could not catch in a fish net.

I have to agree with the other members as to the self limiting.
My Females were still producing and carring eggs. But the % of offspring that would survive to adulthood started to drop way off.

This tank had a large growth of java moss and I did small water changes every day. To keep the water paramiters at a constant level.
There just did not seem to be enough types of food (micro-organisms) for the young to compete for to survive.

As to the production of amonia, I can not help with this.

If you have transparent Females, you may not have true RCS .
They may have been bred with another Species. Do the transparent Females carry Yellow Eggs or are the Brownish in color ?

If you are going to write a thesis, You may want to have a pure strain of a Species.

John
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

If you have a well cycled tank you will not ever measure amonia unless you dump a bunch of un-eaten food in and leaaave it there. Amonia is not the limiting factor. Crowding, or the lack of micro-food/biofilm appear to me (wild speculation :-D ) what limits them. I've had well over 100 cherry shrimp in a 10 gallon tank with no health issues other than the females go barren. Once the number were reduced down to 25-30, they berried right up.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

If you are going to write a thesis, You may want to have a pure strain of a Species.
Agreed.

You might want to try measuring the nitrate in the tank as this is what the ammonia is ultimately converted to. What type of test kit do you have?
taheton
Egg
Egg

test kitt

Post by taheton »

i have the azoo amonia test kit but on the lab they have better ones, also i agree with what you sayd about the biofilm, i was thinking in using natural sponges and change them for"new" sponges aged in another tank, [section of post asking for source of shrimp to buy deleted]
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

taheton, do yourself and us a favor and read the rules before making any further posts. You just broke a rule. This is a first and final warning.
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

taheton
If you are going to make a thesis about this Shrimp.

There is a big difference between a cycled / aged tank and a
cycle /aged tank that is compinsated with Bio-film from a different source.

The results would be totaly different.

Just my thoughts
John