First try at ghost shrimp breeding

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Guybrush
Larva
Larva

First try at ghost shrimp breeding

Post by Guybrush »

Well not exactly breeding as much as buying berried shrimp from the LFS...

I decided that before even thinking of trying shrimp with larvae that need salt, I'd try the relatively easier ghost shrimp first. So here's a photo log of my experience (if it's too hard to see, click on the picture to see a larger version).

This is my larvae-saver container with a berried ghost about 4 days before hatching.

Here are the larvae:

Click on this one. It turned out particularly well :D

This is the bin that's used to soak leaves and hold excess java moss (and raise ghost shrimp larvae now).

I bought three berried ghosts. The first one yielded about 40 larvae. I was a little late in moving the second one into my special container and only got about 15 larvae (I assume the rest were eaten). The last lass, I'm still waiting for the eggs to hatch.

The first batch hatched on Friday (11/16) so I'm hoping to see them walking soon, instead of floating and hopping. I have not done any external feeding and am relying on whatever is in the water/bin. The bin is very well aged so I hope that's enough food for them, but it's hard to tell if there are any losses. It seems like there's a good survival rate so far.

Actually, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with all these shrimp :oops:
I'm thinking of splitting them between my community tank and my ponds. I actually have a 20 gallon available, but I'm not supposed to set that up :cry:

You might have noticed from the few posts that I have here, that I like to take/post pictures. I find it fascinating when I get a good shot and can zoom in until the shrimp looks giant :D

I'll update as things happen (if I have time during the Thanksgiving stuffing).
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

nice
i was feeding mine GP 0-50 and it turn out well.

let us know
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

This is my larvae-saver container with a berried ghost about 4 days before hatching.
Could you please describe the larvae-saver container more and maybe post a better picture of it.

Thanks.
Guybrush
Larva
Larva

Post by Guybrush »

It's one of those hanging containers that fish stores use. I made a frame out of Lego pieces (it was the only thing I could find) and put it in a media bag from my Aquaclear filter. I also put some actual media in the bag to help maintain water quality. The last thing is a fish net on top to make sure the mothers to be don't make a run for it.

Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Great design, thanks for sharing :D
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Actually, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with all these shrimp
Don't count your shrimp before they morph. Keeping the water quality up while giving them enough to eat is the real challenge. Best of luck & keep us posted!
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

badflash wrote:
Don't count your shrimp before they morph. Keeping the water quality up while giving them enough to eat is the real challenge. Best of luck & keep us posted!
absolutly true.
keep us posted.
shrimpbaby
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by shrimpbaby »

badflash wrote:

I agree. Good luck and I hope you do well, but I've had a pretty low survival rate every time that I've tried to rear ghosts. It's great fun watching the survivors grow, though.

ETA: I forgot to tell you that your pictures are great.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

About how many have you had survive on average?