Worms!!!

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

samosette
Egg
Egg

Worms!!!

Post by samosette »

I have worms in my 20 gallon shrimp tank. Theres some SAE, and Octos, and 2 guppies. They look like slugy types of worms that crawls on the wood and gravel, not my fish or shrimps that i can see. I'm wonderin if these worms will harm my shrimps (or fish, but I'm more concerned for my shrimps) Also, how do i get rid of them without hurting my shrimps and plants? (I have cherries, amano,red nose, and green/blue algae shrimps.)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Those sound like nematodes. They are harmless.
blenny
Larva
Larva

Post by blenny »

Could it be planarian? Does it has look like leech?
beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by beckypyyeung »

On two occasions I saw one or two thin white worms swimming in my tank. But my tetra ate them as soon as they saw them and then nothing bad happened.
kross
Larva
Larva

Post by kross »

scarlet badis' favourite food..... :lol:
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

blenny wrote:Could it be planarian? Does it has look like leech?
From her description I think you are right. They sound like they are planaria. Either way both nematodes and planaria are totally harmless. I've had both in my tanks before.

Mustafa
theshrimp_123
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by theshrimp_123 »

I hate these things. Are theyre shrimp that eat them?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

theshrimp_123 wrote:I hate these things. Are theyre shrimp that eat them?
Most Palaemonid shrimp, such as P. paludosus and Macrobrachium cf. assamense/dayanum (red claw shrimp) will decimate all of them from your tank.
theshrimp_123
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by theshrimp_123 »

Most Palaemonid shrimp, such as P. paludosus and Macrobrachium cf. assamense/dayanum (red claw shrimp) will decimate all of them from your tank.
Thats weird. My ghosts didnt touch them. Then again, i kept them well fed. Should i stop feeding for awhile?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

NO...just keep your shrimp well-fed. Don't starve them to see if they will eat the planaria. The red claw eat them for sure, though. Mine decimated all of my planaria from one of my tanks although I really did not mind the planaria.
51Cornell
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by 51Cornell »

We have planaria in lots of our shrimp tanks and leeches (they move differently from planaria) and what look like blackworms or tubifex worms--all spontaneously generated as far as I'm concerned since we didn't put any of those things in there). The planaria are kind of cute with their arrow heads and turn green when they get into the spirulina. Someone said you can feed them to your fish but I"m too lazy to try to pick planaria out of the shrimp tanks just to feed the fish.
chlorophyll
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by chlorophyll »

While not recommending starvation, I feel that lots of people overfeed their shrimp. Many types of small shrimp are eating things that we don't even see and may not need a lot of direct feeding, particularly in a well established well-planted environment, especially with any accomanying fish that are already being fed.

An overfed and nutrient rich environment may contribute to worm outbreaks.