Ghost Shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Joey
Egg
Egg

Ghost Shrimp

Post by Joey »

Well these guys are neat and I was thinking about getting some, however I'd like to know stuff about them first.

1. Can they be overfed? I read you shouldn't put much food, but I don't want them to overeat and die.

2. Is gravel alright? If so, what size? I saw them at the store in a tank without gravel.

3a. Are they peaceful (i.e. won't kill each other)? I'll definetly put plenty of hides, but the store's description labeled them as "peaceful bottom dwellers."

3b. If yes to 3a, how many would you reccomend for a 10 gallon? 20 gallon? This includes many hides.

4. How big do they get?

5. What is their expected lifespan?

Any other important/recommended information is more than welcome.

Please note my location to the left, as I want to make sure I get the info for my native species.

I have some experience with crayfish, so I should have a little start.

BTW, the store was Wal*Mart.
Ecir
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Ecir »

Hi Joey and welcome to the forum,

First things first you should have a look at the rules and the Shrimp Varieties pages. Also doing a search should get you all the answers you need.

1. Anything can be overfed but the bigger problem with shrimp isn't overeating but all the food the don't eat spoiling and ruining your water. They should only be fed sparingly.

2. Substrate is fine, color and size depends on you, I have pebble size with natural brown colors in my tank.

3a. Ghost shrimp aren't aggressive, but if you're thinking of putting them in with fish they'll probably become a snack.

3b. I only had 11 in my 10 gallon but there were other species in there as well, best to wait for someone elses opinion on that one.

4. they get about 5cm

5. I believe someone said the lifespan of the smaller shrimp is only a year or two... but don't quote me on that :P

As for the info to your native species... it depends what Walmart classifies as a Ghost shrimp. There have been several topics about Macrobrachium being sold as ghost shrimp which can grow several inches long and eat everything else in the tank. Have a look at the Shrimp Varieties page and compare to the pictures and learn a little while you're there ;)

Ecir
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

On the subject. . . .

I live in Alabama and I know that my local store gets them from someone who collects them down in South Alabama, so I'd like to think I have a source for healthy shrimp. ..

But none of mine ever seem to live more than a couple weeks in my tanks, even though my other shrimp do great. . . .

At least they are only 7 cents, but I'd sure like to get some that are healthy when I buy them. . . .
Ecir
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Ecir »

YuccaPatrol wrote:On the subject. . . .

I live in Alabama and I know that my local store gets them from someone who collects them down in South Alabama, so I'd like to think I have a source for healthy shrimp. ..

But none of mine ever seem to live more than a couple weeks in my tanks, even though my other shrimp do great. . . .

At least they are only 7 cents, but I'd sure like to get some that are healthy when I buy them. . . .
7 cents!! Must be nice. The cheapest I've ever seen them is 89 cents, but the biggest one I've had over 6 months now :wink:
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

Ecir wrote:
7 cents!! Must be nice. The cheapest I've ever seen them is 89 cents, but the biggest one I've had over 6 months now :wink:
They are sold as feeders here. You get a discount if you buy 20 for $1 :lol:

I've had some live a couple months, but I think I really need to arrange to buy them from the original shipping bag and not let them spend any time in the fish store's tank.

On the positive side, my local store can now get amano shrimp and will sell me the unopened shipping bag if I order a dozen. . . .
Joey
Egg
Egg

Post by Joey »

OH!!! I see it now! They're Glass Shrimp! My friend asked a fish expert at Wal Mart what type they were, and my friend said the guy told him "Grass Shrimp." My friend mistook the guy's answer for "grass" when it was really glass! This is the same Wal Mart and their stock hasn't changed.

Thanks a lot! I'll search for extra bits of info. :D

So, they won't fight? That's good. I'm planning to buy quite a few!

Oh, one more thing. Do Glass Shrimp have the light problem where they keep moving towards a light source? I read about that and was wondering if it applied here.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

I have a couple of Ghost shrimp and they do not have the light problems. They are pretty active some times and travel all over the shrimp tank but they are not drawn towards the light more than the dark.
Ecir
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Ecir »

I'm pretty sure it's the larvathat are photosensitive, keep the light on or they get stuck to the wall/bottom of the tank. Not a problem with adults.

Ecir
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Joey wrote:OH!!! I see it now! They're Glass Shrimp! My friend asked a fish expert at Wal Mart what type they were, and my friend said the guy told him "Grass Shrimp." My friend mistook the guy's answer for "grass" when it was really glass!
They are known by lots of names and both glass and grass shrimp names are used.
Joey
Egg
Egg

Post by Joey »

Oh ok thanks.

Ecir, when you say "adults," do you mean anything past the larval stage? I see some young (I mean small) Ghost Shrimp often, and they look the same as adults but smaller. So, do they count?

Thanks for everything, guys. :-D
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Yes they count as adults and act like them too. Best wishes with your shrimp and keep us updated on how well they do :wink:
Joey
Egg
Egg

Post by Joey »

Thanks, I'll try! 8)