Blue Buddha Shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Blue Buddha Shrimp

Post by Newjohn »

Blue & Black Buddha Shrimp

This Shrimp was posted on a auction site.

Sorry no picture.
I have no idea of how to post a picture from another site.

I was just wondering, if anyone has seen these Shrimp, or know anything about them ?

John
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

i think they present it as a Caridina cf. serrata "blue tiger"
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

They are definitely a Neocaridina.....most likely what is sold as "blue shrimp" here once in a while:

http://www.petshrimp.com/neocaridinaspblue.html

I'm almost 100% sure the "blue buddha" won't keep its original coloration when there are offspring.

I hope I am wrong but this sounds like another "let's make money off of people who don't know any better" kind of deal to me. If I were to buy these shrimp, then I would want to see pictures of various sizes within a colony breeding setting from the seller (i.e. no holding tanks).
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Hi Mustafa

Thank You for your input.

I have some of the , "Blue Shrimp" . I thought they looked different , than the ones I have. They seemed to have more of a solid color.

They list a Blue and a Full Black.

The Blue looks more like a Brown, but, the still look interesting.

John
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hi John,

If you look at the pictures at the bottom of the link to the blue shrimp page, you will see that the original blue shrimp I got were blue...some of them were deep blue and some of them were almost black. The next generation does not keep those colors....hence, they must be either artificial and/or result from environmental factors.
milalic
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by milalic »

The black variety of that shrimp looks like the black tiger shrimp in some of the german sites. But I am not sure it is that. All pictures are copyright and I do not know if posting a link of the site will break one of the forums rules.

-Pedro
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

milalic
I have also see a similar Shrimp , on , what I think was a German Site.
I cannot read German, so, I was out of luck.
I just do alot of looking.

Mustafa
I was not so interested In the "Blue", But, more interested that it looked
to have a different body shape.

I still have alot to learn about the Shrimp Hobby.

John
Jackie
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Jackie »

Mustafa wrote:If you look at the pictures at the bottom of the link to the blue shrimp page, you will see that the original blue shrimp I got were blue...some of them were deep blue and some of them were almost black. The next generation does not keep those colors....hence, they must be either artificial and/or result from environmental factors.
Maybe they are a "combination" of two species whose offspring is of blue color. I had these blue shrimp also - their babies were plain brownish shrimp, the "grandchildren" too. They ended up as food to my Red Claw.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

milalic wrote:The black variety of that shrimp looks like the black tiger shrimp in some of the german sites.
It's not the black tiger shrimp. There is only one guy who breeds them and he's in Germany. Maybe there are a few more out there who breed them, but they are all in Germany. Plus, I've had them before, too, and they definitely do not look like this. The one in the auction is a Neocaridina for sure.

But I am not sure it is that. All pictures are copyright and I do not know if posting a link of the site will break one of the forums rules.

-Pedro
I'll post a "picture link", but it won't stay around for too long in the forum since the picture is not hosted here:

And here you see a brownish shrimp from the same seller:

100% Neocaridina and I'm pretty sure it's the same or related species to what I am breeding here as "blue shrimp." As I said, some of the blue shrimp were so dark that they looked almost black. Among the original blue that I received, there were also some that looked exactly like the brown one above.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Newjohn wrote: Mustafa
I was not so interested In the "Blue", But, more interested that it looked
to have a different body shape.
It actually has the typical general Neocaridina body shape. It takes some training to recognize that after a while. :)
I still have alot to learn about the Shrimp Hobby.
John
And we're all learning together. :) One never stops learning. Unless you're one of those self-appointed "experts", of course, who just know everything and don't need to learn anything. :-D
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Those are the ones.

Thank You
For all the information.

One who does not understand, Learns

One who learns, Knows

One who Knows, Teaches

John