Plecos and Ghosts

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

filishy
Larva
Larva

Plecos and Ghosts

Post by filishy »

I have a 20g planted tank that has suffered a lot due to the aftermath of 3 different hurricanes. What once was a lushly planted tank has been reduced to a ... well... a kind of a barren looking "thing".

Due to so many power outages, intense heat periods, no carbon and very few water changes, the tank has pretty much returned to its initial stages and is starting again to show all the algae blloms typical of new set ups. I have resumed the general maintenance on that tank as it does not look another hurricane will be coming this... hopefuly, at least!

Now, in this tank I have a bunch of ghost shrimps which are doing quite well actually, but I'm concerned because I do want to introduce a pleco and a couple of ottos to this tank.

The pleco is only 2"... Will it harm my ghosts?

I am assuming those that know will answer "No..." but, I still felt compelled to ask.

Thank you... :D
Maria.
bigheadtai
Egg
Egg

Post by bigheadtai »

The plecos will not harm the ghosts shrimp. Otos do not harm the shrimps, but may compete with the shrimps for food such as fish flakes and algae wafers.
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Bradimus »

If you mean the common pleco, it will definitely eat baby shrimp. The adults may be safe. The only plecos I would trust with shrimp are Ancistrus species (bushy-nosed). Ottos are no trouble.
filishy
Larva
Larva

Post by filishy »

Thank you for the replies.

These are adult Ghosts and yes, it is small specimen of the common pleco. As of now, none of the ghosts seem to be pregnant so no worries about baby ghosts right now. I have no idea about the future, though...

Thank you for the input.

Maria.