red crystal and catfishes (or coridoras)

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Matteino^82
<b>BANNED</b>

red crystal and catfishes (or coridoras)

Post by Matteino^82 »

hello...I'm planning my new 60 liter qith red crystal....
I have one question for you....Qhat kind of fish like some locaridae or otocinclus or corydoras is "safe" for baby shrimps?
In other words, do you keep any fish like these (specialli locaridae or otocinclus) without any hurt for baby shrimps?
bye!
Shrimp&Snails
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Shrimp&Snails »

I've kept Ottos with no problems.

Corydoras will eat shrimplets.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

I have also had no problems keeping otocinclus with shrimp. I have not tried corydoras though.
Matteino^82
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by Matteino^82 »

ok tanks...otos are "safe" many people have them in their tank...
:))))
What about locaridae?I'm thinking about small locaridae...
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I am unfamiliar with this fish. If it eats insect larva it will eat shrimp. Unless it is a confirmed vegetarian like ottos and some plecos, it will be a problem.
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

The only fish I would ever even consider keeping with dwarf shrimp is the Otocinclus because it has a very specialized mouth that simply cannot be used to eat shrimp.

Yes, some people claim good luck with some corydoras and some species of plecostomus, but I personally wouldn't chance it.

Basically, if a fish will eat the tiniest piece of flake food that you can see, it has the potential to eat baby shrimp.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I have albino bristle nose plecos. These have modified mouths like ottos and seem to only go for veggies. Never seen them take a baby shrimp.

If you keep fish with shrimp be sure you have something like java moss for them to hide in.
Kenshin
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Kenshin »

I agree as well. Based on my past experiences, Corydoras sp. will eat little shrimplets. Just think for a minute. If you feed these fish blood worms (which is a lot bigger than a little shrimplet), they devour them in no time like vampires sucking blood :twisted: . I have given all of my Corydoras sp. away to my friends and my shrimps has been prospering since then. Otos. sp. on the other hand is the safest kind of fish to keep with shrimps like others have stated. :-D
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

I have a clown pleco that I took out of my shrimp tank this past weekend... it sure looked fat :? I think it may have eaten some baby shrimp.

TKD
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Sorry to hear that TKD but thank you for the warning :!:
eklikewhoa
Egg
Egg

Post by eklikewhoa »

TKD wrote:I have a clown pleco that I took out of my shrimp tank this past weekend... it sure looked fat :? I think it may have eaten some baby shrimp.

TKD

clown plecos are omnivores i believe.
Shrimp&Snails
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Shrimp&Snails »

Ditto on the bristle nosed plec comment....mine are all big softies who bother no-one.
Ecir
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Ecir »

Shrimp&Snails wrote:Ditto on the bristle nosed plec comment....mine are all big softies who bother no-one.
My only worry with the bristlenose is that they would out-eat any shrimp in the tank, from what I've heard it only takes one Bristlenose to keep a 50g spotless of algae... different algae type prefference maybe?

Ecir
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

Ecir wrote:
Shrimp&Snails wrote:Ditto on the bristle nosed plec comment....mine are all big softies who bother no-one.
My only worry with the bristlenose is that they would out-eat any shrimp in the tank, from what I've heard it only takes one Bristlenose to keep a 50g spotless of algae... different algae type prefference maybe?

Ecir
I keep a bristlenose in most of my fish tanks and never scrape algae from the glass. I rarely see them because they do their best work at night, but one bristlenose probably consumes as much algae as several hundred shrimp would.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I have 5 ABNP in a 20 gallon breeder. They keep the glass squeeky clean, but leave algae on the bog wood, oddly enough. I have to suppliment them with algae pellets and veggies. They are sloppy eaters so every one gets plenty. They don't keep the plants clean either, so I see no issues.

The only problem I've run into is their territorial nature. They chase the bamboo and vampiiire shrimp out from under the log and that stresses the shrimp. Doesn't seem to be a problem with bumblebees though.