Cycling 10 gallon tank.

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

bigheadtai
Egg
Egg

Cycling 10 gallon tank.

Post by bigheadtai »

I'm cycling my 10 gallon tank to transfer shrimps in. Currently the ammonia and nitrite is at .2. The nitrate is at 30ppm.

What's the best way to lower the nitrate? Water change? Add more java moss? Also, how many shrimps can that tank hold? Would java moss survive without lighting? Is it also okay to just put a sponge in there without a pump or filter?
Jackie
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Cycling 10 gallon tank.

Post by Jackie »

bigheadtai wrote:I'm cycling my 10 gallon tank to transfer shrimps in. Currently the ammonia and nitrite is at .2. The nitrate is at 30ppm.
As long as you have nitrite in your tank there is no sense in measuring the nitrate - the test will show a false result.
bigheadtai wrote:What's the best way to lower the nitrate? Water change? Add more java moss? Also, how many shrimps can that tank hold? Would java moss survive without lighting? Is it also okay to just put a sponge in there without a pump or filter?
I assume the tank being still cycled there aren't any shrimp in it, so IMO don't do any water changes, they will make the cycling slower.
BTW - the best way of lowering the nitrate is partial water change, but already in a cycled tank, not a fresh one.

It's impossible to say how many shrimp your tank can hold - there are many kinds of shrimp and they all need different conditions. Your tank is way to small for any Macrobrachium, except for M. banjare. Try to get some Caridina species, maybe some of the smaller filtering shrimp.

Please read as much info as you can BEFORE buying any shrimp :wink:
Last edited by Jackie on Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Bradimus »

Once the ammonia and nitrite are 0ppm, use water changes to lower the nitrates. Java moss is relatively light feeder. It will consume nitrates, but not quickly. JM does fine under high light levels.

Why are you considering adding a sponge without a pump?
bigheadtai
Egg
Egg

Post by bigheadtai »

Would a sponge without a pump do any good?
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Bradimus »

The sponge would provide some surface area for beneficial bacteria. However, without something to pull oxygenated water through the sponge, these bacteria would be limited to a thin outer layer of the sponge. The inside of the sponge is likely to become anoxic. This might provide a slight reduction in nitrates, but could also be quite dangerous. All in all, I don't see a benefit in it. YMMV.