YuccaPatrol - can you verify these are Magnolia leaves?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

JK
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JK »

Thanks everyone for you input,

I'll keep out of the ponds, but have just had another thought, how about oak leaf mould?............Our native oak leaves are really tough, so ones that have already half decayed naturally would definately be easier for shrimps to eat..........Or would all those fungal spores be a danger?

Thanks again.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

We have members who do look for and use leaves with mold on them. They have not had any complants or problems reported so far. I look for dried brown oak leaves for my tank. It is actually the microorganism that grow on the leaves that provide shrimp with food rather than the leaves themselves.
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

Just my opinion, but I see my collected leaves and other natural tank decorations as a source of beneficial organisms rather than a potential source of infection.

I think our germ-o-phobic culture can make it hard to believe that the vast majority of micro-organisms are beneficial.

The closest thing to an infectious organism I have had was a very brief appearance of some hydra that went away after about a week.
JK
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JK »

YuccaPatrol wrote:
I think our germ-o-phobic culture can make it hard to believe that the vast majority of micro-organisms are beneficial.
Very true, thinking about it, as this comes naturally to our shrimps, they should have some natural immunity against these organisms anyway.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I'm not worried about disease, just other nasties like leaches, planaria, hydra, etc. Once you get them, it can take forever to get rid of them.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

So I think it is best to look for dry brown leaves in an area that is known not to spray insecticides to be on the safe side.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Anyone tried maple leaves? I would think these should be pretty much the same, but less acidic. Here in the Hudson valley we have loads & loads of maples. I'll be setting up another tank shortly & give that a shot, unless someone already has an answer.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Maple leaves work great, too. Pretty much any old, brown leaf lying on the ground will do. Just make sure you soak the leaves first. There is lots of stuff in leaves that leaches into the water during the first day or so. I noticed that when I measured the conductivity of the water the leaves were soaking in and realized by how much the conductivity had risen.
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

I soaked about a dozen oak leaves for a few days, the water looked like very strong tea. I dropped one into the tank, but it hasn't drawn much interest yet. They seem to prefer the softer, somewhat decayed water lily leaves.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

I believe that is because the decaying water lily leaves already have microorganisms for them to feed on. The oak leaves in time will have them grow on them.
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

I figured as much, but they eat the leaves as well.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Sure they do, it is like lettuce with the microorganisms being the oh so good dressing :-D