Peppermint shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Kenshin
Shrimp
Shrimp

Peppermint shrimp

Post by Kenshin »

Hi Mustafa or anyone with this info.,

I know that you are currently trying to breed the Peppermint shrimps (Lysmata wurdemanni). Do you have any success so far? In addition, what is their main diet? Or in other words, what do you feed them usually?

I have been keeping a pair of this shrimps recently (past 2 weeks) and they have basically wiped out all of nuisance glass anemones (Aiptasia) in my saltwater aquarium. They do not seem to be fond of flake food, pellet food, frozen bloodworms, or frozen adult brine shrimp (because they do not even touch them). However, they seem to eat a small amount of the mysis shrimps when I feed them with a tweezer (not shy to be fed manually).

I also started to notice one of the shrimp developed a small ovary patch recently (light yellow or white color). Is that color correct for ovary development?

Thank you very much for any input as always and Happy Holidays everyone!! :-D :D :smt114
Killfrenzy
Egg
Egg

Post by Killfrenzy »

Hmm. On that subject, what do the larva eat? I think the skunk cleaner shrimp in the store is carrying eggs.
The Fisherman
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by The Fisherman »

I have a single peppermint shrimp, and he eats pretty much anything. I usually feed him blackworms and mussel. He goes crazy over the black worms.

I wanted to try and breed them as well...I found a few sources online, but I don't know how accurate they are.

Theres a picture of mine.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Thanks, Very nice shrimp :)
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Peppermint shrimp

Post by Mustafa »

Kenshin wrote:Hi Mustafa or anyone with this info.,

I know that you are currently trying to breed the Peppermint shrimps (Lysmata wurdemanni). Do you have any success so far? In addition, what is their main diet? Or in other words, what do you feed them usually?
I don't currently have any of these shrimp. I had them for over a year and they produced larvae constantly. I never bothered to feed the larvae because I did not want to have to set up tons of saltwater shrimp tanks to grow the larvae (no space, no time...etc...etc.) The larvae will eat brine shrimp nauplii. My adults were eating anything I threw in...i.e. flake, pellets...etc. This species is a "simultanous hermaphrodite" meaning that you can just buy any two shrimp and they will both carry fertilized eggs at some point as all animals are both male and female at the same time.

I also started to notice one of the shrimp developed a small ovary patch recently (light yellow or white color). Is that color correct for ovary development?
Sounds right. Although there are other species/varieties sold as peppermint shrimp that have green ovaries and eggs.
Kenshin
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Kenshin »

I believe I found out what the problem was:

The shrimps were newly bought from the LFS and they were taking some time to acclimate

My salinity was not strong enough (at 1.016) and then I readjust it to full strength saltwater (1.024) and they have been feeding fish flakes as well and not just mysis or brine shrimps
rugie
Larva
Larva

Post by rugie »

Kenshin, just for your info 1.024 sg is not full strength sea water. And the peppermint shrimp breeds and hatches eggs most freely, however the fry are next to impossable to keep alive, many experts have failed, a few are now having some success but it is to limited to be of useful information for others wanting to embark on this endevor.
Daudin
Larva
Larva

Post by Daudin »

I recommand this title:

How to Raise and Train Your Peppermint Shrimp by April Kirkendoll :-)
Pea-brain
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Pea-brain »

Is breeding white shrimp (Penaeus vannamei) the same as peppermint shrimp? Because I plan to breed them as a food source for a new tank I'm planning and saw this convenient post on saltwater shrimp here :D . I think that the white shrimp have male/female sexes and can live in groups but for raising larvae will brine shrimp work?