" Blue " Cambarellus Shufeldtii CAJUN

This forum is read-only.

Moderator: Mustafa

badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

michiganmale248 wrote:It's great to see how well you guys are doing with these. Its probly just me but it looks like a couple of them came out a orange or red, or is this what the brown look like young?

Anyways, Keep up the good work.
Just bad lighting. Some are greenish brown, most are blue-ish.
Vera
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Vera »

Congrats badflash! Those look to have a lot of blue in them to me!

I have 5 babies wondering around my tank now. I only have 4 females and only 1 has decided to give me babies so far. Mine were dropped on Christmas, so I really can't tell the color yet. It's hard enough just trying to find them in the tank! :D
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I had 4 adult females at my last count. They are all producing well for me. This 40 gallon breeder is terrific for them. I think having a course gravel bottom with the under gravel filter is helping the babies. They have lots of places to hide between the gravel and leaf litter. The tank is also nearly choke with hornwort, and while not great for shrimp, it seems to be super for crays.
Vera
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Vera »

I've only had mine since the beginning of October, so I'm pretty pleased with having one fairly successful berry so far. :D
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Great news Vera, please keep us updated on your progress!
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

You'll have loads of little cuties befor you know it then!
FISH WORLD ERIE
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by FISH WORLD ERIE »

Congrats to everyone. These guys breed like rabbits and are able to reproduce just 3 months after birth. I am still working on their color and hope to have this fixed. For some reason some like to change colors. From blue to brown and back to blue again. I noticed that stress does this to them as well. But some of them stay blue all the time. Maybe in 2 years they will be a permanent blue. I will be working hard on them as I know you guys will too. Good Luck to you all and happy new year.

Jason
FISH WORLD ERIE
Vera
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Vera »

I've noticed the color changes a lot in my tanks. Some days all of them have a lot of blue and other days they are mostly brown. Only two of mine sometimes get the midnight blue color, but they sometimes go brown as well. I think it may be very hard to stabilize a crayfish that acts like a chameleon.

I did get an almost good pic of one of my babies the other day. I'm learning to use the new camera my crayfish insisted on buying me for Christmas and the schufeldti seem like the best thing to practise on. :lol:

These babies dropped from their mom somewhere around Christmas, but this one is already about 3/8 inch.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Thanks for the nice picture of the little one :D
I'm learning to use the new camera my crayfish insisted on buying me for Christmas and the schufeldti seem like the best thing to practise on.
:o I wish my little shrimp would do the same for me, maybe on my birthday :lol:
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

I'm picturing a crayfish waving a credit card around with its claw, saying "What's in YOUR wallet?" :lol:
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I just pulled 10 "keepers" from my 20 gallon grow-out tank and moved them to a 10 gallon for a while until I can set up another 20 long. These are the best I've gotton so far. Of course they have to embarass me and pose in front of a patch of algae...

Vera- Nice babies!
Vera
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Vera »

Those are gorgeous! I really like that color blue on them even if we are suppose to be shooting for the darker ones. :lol:
FISH WORLD ERIE
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by FISH WORLD ERIE »

You can shoot for any color in the blue spectrum. I have 2 seperate colors I am working on. An ice blue or real light blue almost white and a deep dark blue. These guys are fun to work with.

Jason
Vera
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Vera »

ToddnBecka that is funny! :lol: :lol:

Jason, you're right! These are a lot of fun to work with! I really enjoy them!
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Today's crop:

I pulled out all the lighter males and now have nothing but definite blue colors breeding. All the greenish and greys are in another tank. The hatches from the cull tank look to be "ice blues" so this seems to be a win-win.

I had to set up another 20 gallon long for a grow out tank. These crays are in high gear on the breeding end. Looks like I'll be getting this many each week for a while.