Natural sponges in shrimp tanks
Moderator: Mustafa
-
RCSGuy
- Shrimp

- Posts: 173
- Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:23 pm
- Location: Miami, FL
-
Terran
- Shrimp

- Posts: 186
- Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:10 pm
- Location: Fairfax VA
-
TurtleBoyPW5
- Larva

- Posts: 30
- Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:45 pm
I just added a rock to my aquarium today and reorganized the plants and decided to throw in one of the sponges from the fish tank. No problems after 4 hours.
Here some pics... tell me what you think of my set up, the only thing I want to do is add a moss wall to the rear wall, most likely Fissidens sp. (floating plant is there only temporarily)


Here some pics... tell me what you think of my set up, the only thing I want to do is add a moss wall to the rear wall, most likely Fissidens sp. (floating plant is there only temporarily)


-
Terran
- Shrimp

- Posts: 186
- Joined: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:10 pm
- Location: Fairfax VA
-
Neonshrimp
- Master Shrimp Nut

- Posts: 2296
- Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 5:37 pm
- Location: California, USA
-
TurtleBoyPW5
- Larva

- Posts: 30
- Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:45 pm
-
AnneRiceBowl
- Shrimpoholic

- Posts: 327
- Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:00 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE, USA
-
Neonshrimp
- Master Shrimp Nut

- Posts: 2296
- Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 5:37 pm
- Location: California, USA
So far things are looking good with the sponges. So far we know we need to be careful with sponges that have a strong odor to them
Nice rock, I am sure it will allow some beneficial bacteria and microorganisms to grow on it. It might even mimic some of the natural suroundings of the shrimp
See that pretty rock? I collected that off a beach on lake superior over the weekend, I had to pull it out of the ice
Nice rock, I am sure it will allow some beneficial bacteria and microorganisms to grow on it. It might even mimic some of the natural suroundings of the shrimp
-
leto3113
- Egg

- Posts: 19
- Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:19 am
-
Neonshrimp
- Master Shrimp Nut

- Posts: 2296
- Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 5:37 pm
- Location: California, USA
-
RCSGuy
- Shrimp

- Posts: 173
- Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:23 pm
- Location: Miami, FL
-
Neonshrimp
- Master Shrimp Nut

- Posts: 2296
- Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 5:37 pm
- Location: California, USA
I just wanted to mention that I have seen these sponges also and they are pricey as they are specifically marketed for hermit crab use. I would still shop at an hardware/art store if you want more for your moneyNeonshrimp wrote:I think you are safe on this one. I don't think they would be in business long if the sponges harmed or killes the hermit crabsThe label said "All Natural" so hopefully if they aren't harmful to the shrimp's terrestial "cousins" they'll be O.K.
-
leto3113
- Egg

- Posts: 19
- Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:19 am
-
Neonshrimp
- Master Shrimp Nut

- Posts: 2296
- Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 5:37 pm
- Location: California, USA
-
RCSGuy
- Shrimp

- Posts: 173
- Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:23 pm
- Location: Miami, FL