Help Me Stock My Tanks!

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Help Me Stock My Tanks!

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

I was just sitting down to do some figuring. I need a little help with figuring who can go where. First, I will list my tanks and some info on each that will help you help me.

30 Gallon Long #1: There are 3 SAEs, 5 Harlequin Rasboras, 1 wild type guppy, and a male betta splendens. I can rehome or move out ALL of the fish in this tank to make a new home for shrimp.

30 Gallon Long #2: This tank is sitting empty for now. The inner seals on the tank are green. I don't know if CLOUT or malachite green (or whatever that med it) was used or not. I would have to replace the seals and get the tank cleaned out before I housed shrimp in here.

29 Gallon: I highly doubt shrimp would live long in this tank. I house a Betta Mahachai pair and their fry in this tank.

20 Gallon Long: Right now I have Singapore shrimp, RCS, and ABNs in here. These are the guys that I was planning to put in the empty 30 gallon long, but for time management, I had also thought about putting them in 30 gallon long #1. I can also use this tank for other shrimp inhabitants.

10 Gallon #1: Snowball shrimp tank. There's about 17 snowball shrimp and 2 otos in here.

10 Gallon #2: Betta Mahachai male and a Betta splendens female live in here, and I also think shrimp wouldn't last too long in here.

10 Gallon #3: This tank is SW.

I have a few nano tanks, but there are male Betta splendens in them.

My shrimp list including ones that I have and ones that I am planning to get:
Singapore shrimp
vampire shrimp
RCS
CRS
snowball shrimp
"green red tail" shrimp
blue shrimp
bumblebee shrimp
green shrimp
*possibly* tiger, zebra, red nose, yellow nose.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Hi Anne,

I think that the tanks with bettas can be made available at any time if you want them to be. You can just house the fish in small containers until you find them a new home. I also raise and bred bettas in another time, good memories :-)

As for the shrimp, you know their required water parameters, if not you can find them in the Shrimp varieties page. You can also see is they interbreed with other shrimp. Just ask more specific questions as you go along. For example, you can keep the green shrimp with the snowballs or RCS since they like the same basic/hard water conditions and are not known to interbreed. However, the Snowballs and RCS will interbreed. Also, the bumblebees will do fine with any other species that like soft/acidic water since they have not been known to interbreed with other shrimp, at least mine haven't :wink:

I see you will be getting a vampire :o Get a move on redoing your 30 gal as this guy should have as much room as you can give him :-D You could actually have an all filter shrimp tank :!:

Can't wait to hear more about your projects and see the results. I will be getting a digital camera soon so I can post pictures of my little shrimp also :D
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

Ok kids....This is where I am so far.

30 Gallon Long #1:
Singapore shrimp
RCS
Vampire shrimp

10 Gallon #1:
Snowball shrimp
Green shrimp

I may have to get individual tanks for the:
CRS
Bumblebee shrimp
Zebra Shrimp

That look good so far? I am going by Mustafa's shrimp variety pages for info. This is how far I've gotten. lol
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

:D It looks just about right to me. You can also keep the CRS and bumblebees together because I have kept them together and I have not seen problems with interbreeding :-) Let us know when you get these tanks started!
Kenshin
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Kenshin »

Just be careful when you put CRS and Zebra shrimps in together. They are closely related and can interbreed.
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

Thanks for the feedback!

So far, I have setup the 30 gallon long and put in the shrimp. I moved the Singapore shrimp and RCS this evening, and now I just have to get Vampire shrimp. The snowballs are and have been in their own 10 gallon since I got them, and all I have to do now is get the green shrimp.

I am thinking about getting another 10 gallon tomorrow and set it up for bumblebees. I'll be filtering this tank with another ZooMed 501 filter. I just have to get some more RO water for the tank. Do I need to get a buffer, like RO Right? The bumblebees should be here soon. I may not be getting zebra shrimp, because they didn't travel well.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Do I need to get a buffer, like RO Right? The bumblebees should be here soon.
I have not had to use a buffer for the pure R/O water I use for my CRS/bumblebees/Sri Lanka shrimp. I buy the R/O from a local grocery store vending machine. I think there is enough added to the water from the foods I feed my shrimp, which get a prety varied diet.
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

Alrighty, thatnks! That's also one less thing I have to buy! LOL
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

I know what you mean, I am also considering upgrading my filters to the ZooMed 501 filter :roll: I have been using the one I just got and the water quality is great and the shrimp are healthy :-D
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

Alrighty, I am not getting zebras. None of them made it. RIP little shrimpies. :cry:
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Sad news Anne :( . What about the other shrimp you are expecting:?
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

The bumblebees are ready to go. I have 150 to choose from. lol I was thinking about getting 10-15 of them. Not sure though. What do you think?
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

If they are priced right I would buy more than less just in case there are some losses.
AnneRiceBowl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by AnneRiceBowl »

So, my stocking of the 30 Gallon long #1 changed just a wee bit. I put my dwarf crays in there. I have also decided to house vampire shrimp in 30 gallon long #2--when I get them. I still haven't gotten the bumblebees.
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

AnneRiceBowl wrote:The bumblebees are ready to go. I have 150 to choose from. lol I was thinking about getting 10-15 of them. Not sure though. What do you think?
I agree that you should get as many as you reasonably can. If it were me, I would buy enough so that I would still have a solid breeding colony even if I lost 50% of them by the time they began breeding successfully. . .

maybe 30-40?