African Shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Catfish
Egg
Egg

Post by Catfish »

By demersal i meant anadrom - Sorry.
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

Catfish wrote:Palaemonetes antennarius is distributed along the mediterranian coast. A demersal species as far as i know, so hope not.

But closest yet, and may be.

I do however think this may be an undescriped Palaemonetes species, and I am willing to settle for that.

Have to go to bed now, I think. Looking forward to seeing, if there is any news here in the morning.

Thanks for the help so far, RCS Guy

Kr Allan
No problem, thank Google, I know close to nothing more than basics on these shrimp :D
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

RCSGuy, I know you mean well, but trying to "guess" around what shrimp this might be is not going to get anyone anywhere. If you don't know something, just say "I don't know" or just say nothing. That's what I do and it's better than throwing around with a million scientific names that can't even possibly come close to what this shrimp might be. We want to keep things as scientific and knowledge-based as possible, and "wild guesses" are not (or at least should not be) part of science.

I thought I had made it somewhat clear that it's next to impossible to tell from this picture what exact species this is. I still stand by it. Plus, yes, shrimp species aren't all that well researched and there are still tons of species that have not been described plus tons of species that need to be redescribed.

So, again...it's obviously a palaemonid shrimp, but what species it actually might be is not clear. There is really not much more that can be said about this.

PS: Catfish, if you look in the shrimp varieties page to see what the "Amazon Glass Shrimp" is you will see that it indicates that it *might* be P. ivonicus, but not necessarily so, as there are at least 2-3 other Palaemonetes sp. in the Amazon basin. And P. ivonicus is not just from Peru, but occurs in the whole Amazon basin. I would highly recommend reading the species descriptions in the shrimp varieties page to get a better understanding about these species. Searching for information about these shrimp in the forum is also part of the "routine" here, just as the rules say.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

If not, I will have to settle with labelling it Palaemonetes sp. and accept, that not all shrimp are well descriped scientifically.
Hi Catfish, this seems to be the case at present :roll:
Catfish
Egg
Egg

Post by Catfish »

Hi Neonshrimp

In different post i allready wrote following
If not, I will have to settle with labelling it Palaemonetes sp. and accept, that not all shrimp are well descriped scientifically.
I will have to settle with labelling it Palaemonetes sp. and accept, that not all shrimp are well descriped scientifically.
I agree with Your conclusion above, and thank for all help posted in this subject.

I am a complete beginner when it comes to shrimp, and will not hesetate to ask questions here again :D
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

Mustafa wrote:RCSGuy, I know you mean well, but trying to "guess" around what shrimp this might be is not going to get anyone anywhere. If you don't know something, just say "I don't know" or just say nothing. That's what I do and it's better than throwing around with a million scientific names that can't even possibly come close to what this shrimp might be. We want to keep things as scientific and knowledge-based as possible, and "wild guesses" are not (or at least should not be) part of science.
Yeah I was pretty bored and decided maybe I could help this dude, I suppose I got a bit carried away :shock: Sorry Mustafa, I'll keep quiet and wait for the knowledgeable members to post next time! It is a really interesting subject though and once I started seeing how many types of different Ghost Shrimp there are I got even more interested.

You should call it the Palaemonetes Catfish and make it your own species!

That is all.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

It is a really interesting subject though and once I started seeing how many types of different Ghost Shrimp there are I got even more interested.
Good, you can use whatever you learned to help the next person with a question about these shrimp :wink:
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

Neonshrimp wrote:
It is a really interesting subject though and once I started seeing how many types of different Ghost Shrimp there are I got even more interested.
Good, you can use whatever you learned to help the next person with a question about these shrimp :wink:
I hope so!

(I am especially interested since I got those Ghost Shrimp for my 5.5g)
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

That's right, you talked about and posted the pictures of these on your 'RESGuy's RCS Journal' :D
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

Neonshrimp wrote:That's right, you talked about and posted the pictures of these on your 'RESGuy's RCS Journal' :D
Yup, I would've started a secondary journal here but it would be too much to keep up with ... maybe in the future lol Anways getting off topic ... :oops:
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Just good to see you getting more experience and sharing the stat up process you are going through :D Keep it up ;-)
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

-Just ignore this post. Thank you.
Last edited by RCSGuy on Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

RCSGuy-
Please re-read the rules. No discussion of trades, swaps or gifts even.
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

badflash wrote:RCSGuy-
Please re-read the rules. No discussion of trades, swaps or gifts even.
Oh, wow I didn't know you couldn't even say that. I'll edit my other post. :shock: