Pearl Shrimp (lots of Photos included ...)

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

Very nice pictures, I really like that Red Nose Shrimp :) And those Pearl Shrimp are wacky 8) Thanks for sharing ;)
sridharp77
Egg
Egg

Post by sridharp77 »

I have kept these pearl shrimp along with these red nose shrimps and so far I have faced no problems with them. Earlier I had kept them with cherry red shrimps, but then I saw that number of babies of cherry shrimp were less, though I have never seen them attack anybody. But they really helped me to reduce the snail population in the tank. Sometimes I have seen them attack the snails. The pearl shrimps are my favorite shrimps. I feed them bloodworms occasionally and they go crazy when ever I drop the bloodworms in their tank. I have about twenty of them in a 25 gallon tank; hopefully I will be able to breed them. I will post more pictures later.

Regards,

Sridhar.P
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Thanks for the innformation about the shrimp. Hope to see more pictures soon :-D
sridharp77
Egg
Egg

Post by sridharp77 »

More Photos

Pearl Shrimp

Red Nose Shrimp

Regards,

Sridhar.P
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

From the pictures you have posted I see that you are growing the plant HC. What type of lighting are you using? I know the plant requires moderate to high light to grow, so I wanted to know how high the temperature in your tank gets.

Also, the Pearl Shrimp look like they are blending into the sand substrate you are using. The effect has a natural feel to it. What kind of sand are you using and have you tried a darker sand?

Thank you for the nice pictures :)
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

Thanks for sharing those nice pictures with us. I like the picture of the Pearl Shrimp eating its molt ;)
sridharp77
Egg
Egg

Post by sridharp77 »

Yes, my tanks consists of HC, some moss (don’t know the name), lily, Pogostemon helferi and Anubias. This tank was a full fledged planted tank. But as I was getting more pulled towards shrimp, I dismantled the planted tanks and converted it into the shrimp tank (housing pearl shrimp and Red nose shrimp). This is my fifth shrimp only tank. :D . In this tank the substrate used is river sand (the sand that they use for construction purpose). The pearl shrimp love them and they dig and play in the substrate. I have black sand in the other tanks which houses cherry shrimp, CRS, CRB, green and tiger shrimps. For the pearl shrimp they look better in the normal river sand. The lighting used is four 18 watts tube light (2 feet). I don’t dose the tank anymore after the shrimps have moved in and no CO2 also. The tank temperature is around 24-25 degree.

Some more photos of pearl shrimp munching on bloodworms.

Regards,

Sridhar.P
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

very nice shrimp and pics.
i love the red nose.
i understand there are hard to breed also ....

what about the pearl ?
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

Thanks for all the pictures :) You do close ups very well :) Those Pearl Shrimp sure do like them BW :-)
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

But as I was getting more pulled towards shrimp, I dismantled the planted tanks and converted it into the shrimp tank
I know the feeling quite well, though I've never been a serious planted tank keeper. I'm considering converting a 55 from fish to shrimp, have already set up a 30 long, and converted a 38 from fish to dwarf crayfish. I'm thinking snowballs in the 38 with the cajuns... ;-)
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

I'm thinking snowballs in the 38 with the cajuns... ;-)
That would be a nice combination. Please let us know how it goes if you try it :)
Terran
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Terran »

How availible are these shrimp in the USA? Like which shrimp or cray species do they compare to in rarity to obtain? because Ive been interested in them since I first found out about them upon joining this forum.

How many here keep them?...
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

Terran wrote:How availible are these shrimp in the USA? Like which shrimp or cray species do they compare to in rarity to obtain? because Ive been interested in them since I first found out about them upon joining this forum.

How many here keep them?...
Could you be more specific in which shrimp you are speaking of?
Snowball, Pearl, or Rednose??
Not trying to be a bad guy but I don't know which shrimp you are asking about because the topic talks about different species.
Terran
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Terran »

Sorry I was talking about Pearl Shrimp....I did not think it would have caused an error since the topic thread is titled Pearl Shrimp....

I can see how it would cause issues...I didnt think about it when I posted....my mistake....
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

I have only heard of one LFS carrying these and they are 100 miles away from me. I will not be going there anytime soon :roll: .