Shrimp Diet

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

francis
Larva
Larva

Post by francis »

Latest update on the list :

1) Organic spinach
2) Organic tomatoes
3) Novo Shrimp pellets
4) Dried leaves (Oak, Hibiscus)
5) Mangoes
6) Dried Seaweed
7) Hakari Crab Cuisine
8) Garlic (Not tested yet)
9) Frozen Artemia (Brine Shrimp)
10) Beard Algae
11) Apples
12) flake food
13) algae wafers
14) broccoli
15) zucchini

Please keep this going! We want our shrimps to have a healthy diet and of course enjoy life! :)
crazie.eddie
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by crazie.eddie »

Well, my RCS eat whatever I toss in there, which is actually meant for the L-046 zebra plecos and L-183 starlight brisstlenose pleco. Here's what I feed my fish, which the shrimps love as well.

- FBW (frozen bloodworms)
- Frozen Mysis shrimp
- Beefheart mix (beefheart, shrimp, garlic, and other unknown)
- Omega One Algae discs/wafers
- Hikari sinking carnivore pellets
- Hikari Discus Bio-gold
- Omega One shrimp pellets
- blanched Zuchini
- Frozen peas (thawed and skinned)
Last edited by crazie.eddie on Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cactus Bastard
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Cactus Bastard »

Here's the abbreviated list:
"whatever I toss in there"
crazie.eddie
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by crazie.eddie »

Cactus Bastard wrote:Here's the abbreviated list:
"whatever I toss in there"
LOL

Yeah, that sums it up.
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Just watch that whatever you put in, you don't put in much. Most of the stuff you guys are talking about makes you feel good, but the shrimps could care less. A flake food with a hiigh percentage of veggies will do just as well. A cooked romain treat now & then won't hurt.
Baby_Girl
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Baby_Girl »

I agree with badflash. I pretty much stopped supplement-feeding my shrimp except with a high-quality veggie-based fish food about once a week. I still like to give them cooked produce because it's fun to see their reaction, but that only happens maybe once a month. Since my invert tanks have all grown nice and mature, the algae and biofilm are nearly enough to take care of all their food needs. And their color and reproduction have never been better! :-)
Mordaki
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Mordaki »

tryed raw garlic the aminos seemed to like it so did the green shrimp but they diddnt go crazy for it lol they just ate it a bit diddnt add much but what i did add was gone rather quick
guntank0079
Larva
Larva

Post by guntank0079 »

Raw garlic...interesting!
And "they just ate that without going crazy".
(Well, usually healthy food taste blend; that's why...lol)
I would like to give mine a try later...

Come to think of it...
My shrimps finished off my small dead onion plant bulb...does that mean they like onion also?!
Nah, too extreme to try onion as it gives out tear gas and make my shrimps cry. :cry:

(The actual reason not to try onion is: it gives out not only substances like "tear gas", but also a funny smell and stinks the water in the first place...)
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Come to think of it...
My shrimps finished off my small dead onion plant bulb...does that mean they like onion also?!
Nah, too extreme to try onion as it gives out tear gas and make my shrimps cry.

(The actual reason not to try onion is: it gives out not only substances like "tear gas", but also a funny smell and stinks the water in the first place...)
Do your shrimp go crazy? I just wondered if you tried this and that is what you saw.
guntank0079
Larva
Larva

Post by guntank0079 »

There was once I got three large mysteries bulbs and "dumped" those in one empty corner of the Amanos' tank. After a couple days, one turned out to be an Apon, one turned out to be a Crypto; but the third one did not develop itself after 3 weeks...I assumed it was a dead bulb...

But then, my attention was raised as the Amanos were working on the outside of the dead bulb...they spitted up the shell (although they were working on that for hours), opened it wide up and there was a small onion plant bulb, still not rotten inside the shell...

I was alarmed because it was constantly reported by other websites that the dead onion plants will give out bad smell and stink the water...

The next moment I realized that the Amanos were working on the dead matters...I was surprised the Amanos showed their interest on the onion...they were working on it one after another, the small onion bulb was finished one layer after another; and finally gone after two and a half hours. (Actually, they left behind a transparent bulb top...)

(However, I still didn't feel comfortable and was aware of the water condition...I changed 5% of the water daily for another week...well, everything turned out fine. But ever since then, I seldom plant those mysterious bulbs directly into the plant tanks until they sprout...)
Last edited by guntank0079 on Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Thanks for the clearification. I guess it is better to be careful than not with our shrimp.
guntank0079
Larva
Larva

Post by guntank0079 »

True, that's our babies!
Mordaki
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Mordaki »

hehe i only added a tiny amount of garlic i got a clove and chopped 2 verry smal chunks off like a couple millimeeters long and wide and was gone quickly but they seem to enjoy my algea wafers more so i drop about 1/4 to 1/2 a wafer in every now and then they really like that stuff lol they wen crazy for that and all my shrimp were gathered around it
adimeatatime
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by adimeatatime »

Hi All, I sometimes "soak" cut up zucchini in a garlic/water mixture. I put enough water/garlic(the amount of garlic depends on the size of the jar. A tablespoon or so) mixture in a jar that has a lid to cover the zucchini and place in the refrigerator. My plecos, twig catfish, whiptails and some of the loaches like his mixture. I find my shrimp picking all over the squash as well.

I have some twig catfish fry that it was recommended be fed Lacinato kale. I keep it in the freezer and just thaw a leaf at a time. The shrimp seem to like to pick at this as well. :D
geo
Egg
Egg

Re: Shrimp Diet

Post by geo »

I have a variety of prepared foods bought from a local pet shop. The Ghost Shrimp will eat most things but over time seem to be developing certain preferences. Brine and bloodworms are a favorite as well as green peas and melon rind. I recently started them on HBH Frog & Tadpole bites. They go absolutely nuts for this. No matter where they are in the tank or what they are doing within seconds of the "bites" being in the water they quickly locate them and devour with glee. I also noticed that they love the yellow and green flakes found in AVANT Goldfish food flakes but don't seem to like the red flakes. Being a newbie in this I don't know what comprises the red flakes but would like to find out.

Peace, Geo