New with cherries.

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

lf11
Egg
Egg

New with cherries.

Post by lf11 »

Hi, I'm new to posting here, but have been doing a lot reading.
I have a 10 gallon with cherry shrimp. I rescued them from being fed to some fish about 2 and half weeks ago. When I got them there were 2 berried females. The other day one of the females eggs hatched. Now I have tiny shrimplets darting around in the tank. Talk about eye strain trying to watch them :lol: When I was watching them this morning I saw a 3mm shrimplet on my driftwood. I don't know where this one may have come from. How old do you think it could be? I'm so excited I have baby shrimp.
I have always liked shrimp and plan to get a couple different kinds in the future. I love crystal reds, they are so pretty. I'ld like to someday have blue shrimp too, love the color blue.
I'm very happy I found this site, it is very informative and just plain cool. I will try to get some pics of my shrimp at some point so I can show them off :D
adimeatatime
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: New with cherries.

Post by adimeatatime »

Hi lf11,

:smt006 You will find a wealth of information here. I know I have. I always enjoy seeing pictures of others shrimp. Most of the time I use a flashlight to try and see the tiny babies that may be in my tanks. (My eyes just aren't what they once were :( ) I have found where there is a will there is a way though. I LOVE watching my guys move around their homes. Spotting the new babies or a berried female is very exciting to me. Congratulations on your babies.
lf11
Egg
Egg

Post by lf11 »

Did a search on just 3mm and answered my own question as to the age of my shrimplets. So I guess they are only a couple days old at most. I had done searches on age but only came up with old age. Never thought to just type in the size of the shrimplets. Oh well you live you learn right.
lf11
Egg
Egg

Post by lf11 »

I was watching my shrimp this morning and spotted some hydra. Just great, now to figure out how to get rid of them. So far the hydra are confining themselves to one spot on the back upper right corner of the glass. There are probably others that I don't see though. I don't know if it will help but I'm thinking of scrubbing the glass where they are hanging out, maybe I can squish them. Worth a try I guess. I don't want them eating my shrimplets.
Looks like most of the eggs on my other berried female have hatched. She is still carrying a couple eggs. I guess those will hatch at some point too. I was counting how many saddled females I have, looks like three. There are still a couple shrimp that are only a quarter inch if that, they could be either male or female, will have to wait till they get a little bigger to tell I think.
I fed my shrimp some slightly boiled kale, cooled down of course, but they wouldn't touch it. I'll give it another try and see if they will. I always have zuchini (I know I can't spell, lol) on hand that I feed my plecos, so I'll give that a try also. I'm just thinking that along with some protein a veggie in the diet is also good. I don't have alot of algae in the tank for the shrimp to graze on. There is a patch on the glass that is starting to expand. I have other tanks including planted that I have never let algae get a foot hold in. So retraining my self to let algae grow in the shrimp tank is new to me, but I must be doing ok since the algae in the tank is growing.
I'm really enjoying my shrimp. When I feed my fish and snail tanks the shrimp tank is now the first one I put food into. I sit there and watch them for a moment then move on to the other tanks, I usually end up right back to the shrimp tank to watch them some more. I think I've been bitten by the shrimp bug lol.
Still trying to get some pics, went to take some last night but the battery in my camera was to low. Hopefully I can get some tonight.
southerndesert
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by southerndesert »

Squishing them will not work, use a small length of air tubing, zip tie a stick or something long and thin to guide it, and suck them off the glass into a container by siphoning. This works very well.

Bill
lf11
Egg
Egg

Post by lf11 »

Thanks southerndesert, I'll try that if anymore pop up. I did take the sponge to that corner so they're not there anymore. I guess I must have just scattered them to the four winds as it were. Don't know where they've gone now then, I haven't seen anymore, keep my eyes out for them though.
Counted six 3mm shrimplets in the tank a little while ago. Starting to bemoan the fact I have light colored gravel in the tank. Only spot the tiny things if there on the driftwood or glass. Also spotted a shrimp that looks to be developing a saddle.
Still working on the pics, but when I get them I'll post them in the members gallery.