Biocube for planted shrimp tank?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

DestinyCall
Egg
Egg

Biocube for planted shrimp tank?

Post by DestinyCall »

I am interested in starting a planted shrimp tank and need some advice to get off to a good start. I'm relatively new to shrimp keeping. In the past, I've occasionally added ghost shrimp to my existing community tanks and had them promptly vanish from sight, either hiding among the plants or possibly eaten by the fish. Only recently have I started to do some real research into the needs of shrimp, inspired by seeing some beautiful red crystal shrimp at the local fish store. I would like to provide a more suitable habitat for my shrimp, where they will be visible, comfortable, and not live in fear of predation. I would like to establish a new tank and introduce some cherry shrimp, then eventually work up to red crystal shrimp, if things go well.

Now, I was originally planning to setup a 20 gallon long with a sponge filter or hob power filter with sponge pre-filter. I want to plant the tank with live plants, so I will also get some decent lights (~2watts/gallon), but I don't plan on using CO2 or heavily fertilizing, so I will be sticking with hardy low-light plants. While searching around for aquarium options, I found a local advertisement for a used 29 gallon bio-cube setup with stand and all accessories. The price is quite reasonable and it has the kind of lights I was looking at for the plants. It would be a good deal and cost about the same or even a little less than what I was already planning.

My question is ... will the bio-cube work for a dwarf shrimp tank?

I'm concerned about the integrated filter setup. I know how to modify a power filter to be shrimp-safe, but I haven't been able to find any information on the biocube with shrimp or how difficult it would be to modify it with a sponge or screen to protect the intakes from wandering shrimp babies. What do you think?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Biocube for planted shrimp tank?

Post by Mustafa »

No idea. Never had a biocube tank.
Nicole c
Egg
Egg

Re: Biocube for planted shrimp tank?

Post by Nicole c »

Just wondering if you did set the biocube as a planted tank, if so how did it turn out? Have any pictures? I currently have a freshwater biocube and was researching setting it up as a planted shrimp tank?? Advise would be greatly appreciated.