New tank + Pics

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

link81
Egg
Egg

New tank + Pics

Post by link81 »

Just finished upgrading the shrimps to new living quarters. Old tank was a 2 gallon rimless. New tank is about 7.5 gallons, also rimless. Built it myself from old broken tanks. Tank is about 16Lx10Hx11D. Used all the sand, water, plants, wood and filter from the tank, so the cycle should've been fairly minimal if any. I did have to add more sand to make up for the size difference, but its backyard sand so no biggie. I use that stuff in all my tanks. I love it. It looks very natural.

I was sold the shrimp as "blue shrimp" But not long after i got them home 3 out of the 4 died (thankfully the berried one had her babies before she passed, literally a day or 2 later) Still have one original shrimp kicking along and i'm guessing about a half dozen shrimplets. They're kind of hard to count because they blend in pretty well.

If Someone could help ID them that would be awesome. It's kind of hard to see in the pictures, but they almost seem to be getting a hint of blue back to them.

The Tank in all its glory
The Tank in all its glory
tan.JPG (252.98 KiB) Viewed 1253 times
Close up, not bad for a cell phone
Close up, not bad for a cell phone
photo.JPG (249.09 KiB) Viewed 1253 times
New Leaf Yum Yum!
New Leaf Yum Yum!
IMG_1853.png (231.27 KiB) Viewed 1253 times
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: New tank + Pics

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks for the pics! Those shrimp appear to be just some normal wild type Neocaridina sp.. Lots of people sell them as "blue shrimp" although there is not a hint of blue on them. Alternatively, some of them are quite dark in stores but lose their coloration later on. Either way, they are just like red cherry shrimp for all practical purposes.
link81
Egg
Egg

Post by link81 »

Mustafa wrote:Thanks for the pics! Those shrimp appear to be just some normal wild type Neocaridina sp.. Lots of people sell them as "blue shrimp" although there is not a hint of blue on them. Alternatively, some of them are quite dark in stores but lose their coloration later on. Either way, they are just like red cherry shrimp for all practical purposes.
interesting thing i noticed though,

they were blue when i bought them, then they pretty much lost all the color. But now that the shrimplets are getting older they almost look to be getting a hint of blue back, its really light though.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

That's probably your mind playing a trick on you. :wink: The young will grow up to look just like the parents...they won't be blue, unfortunately.
link81
Egg
Egg

Post by link81 »

its very possible.

now maybe if i soak the leaves im giving them in blue food coloring....... hmm...... the possibilities....

kidding of course
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Haha...that's not too far off from how some "farms" produce blue and other colored shrimp in asia. And some shrimp seem to get their blue coloration from natural foods in their habitats actually.