5 gallon Shimp tank

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

samosette
Egg
Egg

5 gallon Shimp tank

Post by samosette »

I have a 5 gallon I was considering making into a shrimp only tank. I was wondering if the 5 gallon was an ok size or if it was too small. It would be only for shrimps like red cherries and maybe some smaller algae ones. If anything I might consider one Octo to be put in there. Its heated, with an external filter, no UGF and about 15 watts of light. Was planning on planting something thin or small grass with some moss covered wood. Would they also be able to breed and "prosper".
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

The Red Cherries will live and breed in a 5 gallon, but it will soon be too small for your population and water paramaters will be harder to control in such a small tank with a larger shrimp population.

Mustafa
retardo
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: 5 gallon Shimp tank

Post by retardo »

samosette wrote:I have a 5 gallon I was considering making into a shrimp only tank. I was wondering if the 5 gallon was an ok size or if it was too small. It would be only for shrimps like red cherries and maybe some smaller algae ones.
this should be fine. shrimp produce a generally small bioload and don't put too much on a system. make sure that the tank is cycled tho. ammonia isn't well tolerated by any kind of shrimp. live plants will help with the cycling process. it's best to take water from an established tank tho.
samosette wrote: If anything I might consider one Octo to be put in there. Its heated, with an external filter, no UGF and about 15 watts of light. Was planning on planting something thin or small grass with some moss covered wood. Would they also be able to breed and "prosper".
as long as there's enuff food, they will breed.