In need of info for Supershrimps.

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Ashrimp
Egg
Egg

In need of info for Supershrimps.

Post by Ashrimp »

Hello there, let me introduce myself with my name, and a story: I am Ash (thought it would be clever and appropriate to mix Ash with Shrimp for my username) and I'm doing a work experience at a pet store nearby that sells, among other things, fish. In the larger aquarium, are some fully grown Corydoras, angel fish, fire mouth cichlids, as a large long-armed shrimp. When I was tasked with feeding the fish the other day, I noticed this large shrimp come out, this 10-12 cm thing. I watched him stalk the angelfish with outstretched arms, sneaking up on them and trying to grab them, and climbing up the glass and swimming after them when it failed. I at first mistook it for a crayfish due to the sheer size of the thing, but then was told it was a shrimp, to which I realised by its claw shapes and size that it should have been obvious, turns out he mixed in with the yamato shrimp that my store used to sell a year ago and we never sold long-arms. So the manager kept him as a store pet and he grew to a size which according to my reasearch, is at least 5cm bigger than the average long arm shrimp. So here I am a day later doing research on shrimp species, as I hope to have an amazon/South American-themed aquarium and wanted a shrimp species of that region. Then I came across these and did reading.

So, straight to the point - I am considering, when I have the space, getting a tank of a few gallons and ordering some Hawaiian/Super Shrimp, but as I am so tired after a day of work, my concentration isn't that high for reading. I get that you only need to feed them a small amount every other week or so, but I was wondering if one could simplify the steps for set-up in easy-to-absorb chunks? I also wondered, how often do I need to clean them/the substrate? What natural decor can I put in there and what should I avoid? Where would I get the buffering decor? Can I put any aquatic plants in there? And any general miscellaneous, yet vital, bit of information I may have forgot to ask? Thank you for the help!
tooth
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: In need of info for Supershrimps.

Post by tooth »

Iwantshrimp
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: In need of info for Supershrimps.

Post by Iwantshrimp »

Moss balls, macro algae ,algae cultured rocks, angel hair rocks, lava rocks and dead coral are fine be sure to have distiller brackish water with REEF salt not aquarium salt you don't have to change thebwater just each the ammonia levels