Ideal starting ratio of males to females.

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Ideal starting ratio of males to females.

Post by TKD »

Hi everyone,

I was wondering what would be the ideal starting ratio of males to females to get the best results breeding wise.

1 male = 1 female
1 male = 2 female
2 male = 1 female
1 male = 3 female
3 male = 1 female

Or other...

Any ideas?

Please remember that this is the STARTING ratio.

This would be for cherries, greens etc

Thanks,

TKD
retardo
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by retardo »

i bought some amanos quite a while back when they were still very small, so there was no way for me to tell whether they were males or females, since they look identical when they're juveniles. as it turns out, i have a larger ratio of males than females. i have at least 3 females and 4 males. the others are still small enough that i cannot truly determine their sex. i think a larger ratio of males is better in terms of mixing up the gene pool. my amanos are from diff't sources, so i know they're not all brother/sister. i don't like the idea of inbreeding too much.

i do notice, however, that multiple males will attempt to inseminate a single female when she's ready to fertilize. in effect, they gang up on her and want to be the daddy. something to consider.
beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by beckypyyeung »

I do wish to know some more about their reproduction coz I'm eager to have some shrimp babies :D
retardo
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by retardo »

becky,

i've done nothing special except keep the water clean and feed my shrimp on occasion. i'm attempting to raise a brood of amano hatchlings as we speak. i can't say with any certainty whether i will succeed or fail, but i'll keep you posted.

rich
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

TKD,

I don't think you will have the luxury to think about an "ideal" starting ratio when buying shrimp. Most places sell females only or predominantly females anyway (imported shrimp), and people like me will sell you juveniles which cannot be sexually distinguished yet. So the ratio is a moot point.

Having said that...one male is enough to fertilize as many females you can provide. It's not ideal (since the male could die unexpectedly and you're left with just females) but it's one way of looking at it.

Mustafa
beckypyyeung
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by beckypyyeung »

Hi Retardo,

Thanks for your information. Let's look forward to seeing many baby shrimps soon. :lol:

I visited a fish shop this afternoon. There are a few baby cherries (about 4 mm in length), but a sticker on the tank reads "Not for Sale". Cherries as tiny as that really look funny.

Becky