Parasites on my snails?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

camaronqueseduerme
Larva
Larva

Parasites on my snails?

Post by camaronqueseduerme »

Hello everyone

I have noticed these white things on many of my snails' shells. They look like certain pests you see in plants. Anybody knows what they are and whether I should be concerned? The snails seem to be alright, in fact their reproduction rate is so humongous that I have culled the population a couple of times by now, but I am afraid I might have some parasite invasion happening.

Thanks!
IMG_3380.JPG
IMG_3379.JPG
IMG_3378.JPG
IMG_3377.JPG
JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Parasites on my snails?

Post by JennyPenny »

Do you have nerite snails this tank? They look like nerite snail eggs to me. My nerites love to lay their eggs on other snail's shells.
If you don't have nerites then I'm not sure. Do you ever see the spots move?
camaronqueseduerme
Larva
Larva

Post by camaronqueseduerme »

Thanks, Jenny. I have indeed one single horned Nerite snail. I was afraid it might be some nasty pest, it will be a relief if it's just eggs :D Since my Nerite is alone and celibate I guess those eggs are not fertilized anyways?
JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JennyPenny »

I don't know if the eggs are fertilized or not, but the babies usually hatch and then die. They need full strength seawater to survive when they first hatch. Kind of sad! :(
JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JennyPenny »

Snails can be freaky little things. I think some can self fertilize, and some can store sperm. I tend to think these eggs are viable.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yeah, those are most likely nerite eggs. And no, they're not fertilized. Nerites need both genders to reproduce.