A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Nikkie
Egg
Egg

Post by Nikkie »

Hi there,
Thanks for accepting me on this forum.
I'm used to introduce myself on a new forum, so here I start. Don't worry it is the very short version.
I have now 10 tanks for several fish and shrimps and yes I have supershrimps.
For almost 3 years ago I bought 9 supershrimps with tank. The tank seemed to be a 2 liter vase with top on it.
Once I got home, I removed the top and started a new tank for them, more then 22 liter ( sorry but I'm not used to think in gallons, not yet anyway.

As fhey moved to their new home after several months I noticed 5 darks spots, so 5 females. That is good.
But I still did not see any eggs. It is possible that all 9 are females.
This weekend I will adjust the tank according the information on this site, airfilter and heater will be taken out. Yes I had them in my tank. Shrimps and no filter was not possible ( I thought) and as it can be cold here in the Netherlands, I put a heater in the tank.
Hopefully they will start to breed. 9 superschrimps are nice in the tank but 50 of them will be better. As they are very difficult to get here, breeding is the only way to get this number of shrimps.

So I will start reading, and reading and do some more reading.
Have a nice day.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: New member

Post by Mustafa »

Welcome to the forum! :smt006

Hopefully you'll start a thread at some point with pictures of your tank and shrimp. That way we could also *maybe* tell you if you have any males. It's not always easy with this species. Plus...we all like pictures here. :-D
Nikkie
Egg
Egg

Post by Nikkie »

I tried to upload pictures but that did not work. I will ask a colleague next week if he can help me.
Today I got 5 new supershrimps, 2 small pieces of microalgae and a bit of mini caulerpa. Exact name is unknown According to the shop it can adjust perfect to brakish water.
The supershrimps are very hard to find here in the Netherlands. The shop does not sell the supershrimps at this moment, but as I had already have a small group I could buy a few.
When I told them about te vase when I bought them, theymentioned that they sold several vases with a couple of supershrimps. My shrimps are probably related to the shrimps i bought today.

You have to wait for some pictures, sorry!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hmmm...did you go down to where it says "Options" under where you would write your post? Right next to the "Options" there is an "Attachments" tab. Click on it and the click "add files". Once you upload your picture a button will appear that says: "place inline". Click that one and in your post a forum code that looks like this will appear (ignore the dots at the end of "attachment"..I just included them so the forum software doesn't think it's actual attachment code it needs to translate into pictures:
[attachment.=0]20141017_153124.jpg[/attachment.]
Place that code where you would like your picture to appear in your post. Done. :)

As for Europe and supershrimp/opae ula...well, I haven't really tried hard to find a distributor there and the ones that contacted me were very flaky about importing thousands of shrimp every month. At this point it isn't worth it for me to send to individuals that want to order 10 or 20 shrimp at a time. It's a lot of trouble to go through the paperwork and added time and effort for international shipments. So what you see there once in a while in stores popping up are wild-caught shrimp that have been usually illegally caught and exported from Hawaii. That's also the reason why they're so rare there.
Ace
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Ace »

We must have some photos :)