New Tank - HELP

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

KimV
Egg
Egg

New Tank - HELP

Post by KimV »

I started cycling a tank before i left for vacation. I purchased some macro algae from Mustafa, however Im still not seeing any green algae growth. Its been over a month now and Im not sure whats going on! HELP!

Our tank is not very close to a window so we have been keeping the LED light on 24-7. We were hooing the extra time with the light would help cycle faster. I jist purchased some snails in the event that they could help the situation. Any suggestions woukd be helpful!
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: New Tank - HELP

Post by Varanus »

Is there any biofilm on the water's surface that you can see?

I basically had a similar issue with my tank. Beyond green biofilm and a slight green tinge to one of the rocks (which I am now doubting is really algae), it never grew any visible green algae (and the green surface film got consumed/vanished over time). But that doesn't mean the tank hasn't cycled, as there is a lot of biofilm that is invisible to the naked eye. One idea is that the macroalgae just takes a lot of nutrients and keeps much in the way of visible green algae from growing. All its meant for my tank though is that I possibly have to feed it a bit more often than some people here (about every three weeks), otherwise the tank has thrived.

Basically with the snails and macroalgae in there and a month having passed your tank should be ready for shrimp. But if you want to be sure then you can buy an ammonia test to make sure its safe.

Also, you should probably start a 12 hour lights on/off schedule.
KimV
Egg
Egg

Post by KimV »

The water is kind of murky and there appears to be some biofilm on the surface. I just ordered snails, so im going to put them in and see what happens. Ill also look to start 12 hour on/off cycle with the light.

Thanks for your help!
JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JennyPenny »

It took a long time for my tank to grow algae. What I ended up doing was removing the lid, which will help to introduce spores. I found that very effective!
And like Varanus mentioned, it would be a good idea to implement a light cycle.
KimV
Egg
Egg

Post by KimV »

Hi All,

My snails arrived and i added them to the tank. They've been moving around and i've been seeing them in different locations around the tank, however I noticed the back of their shells seem to be white. I dont recall this being the case when i added them, just wanted to make sure there isnt an issue with the tank that could cause this.

Thanks!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Do you have pictures? It's not unusual for snails to have eroded shell tips, which then appear white.