Topping off with treated tap water?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

soongie
Egg
Egg

Topping off with treated tap water?

Post by soongie »

Hello all! I understand why it is not recommended to top off evaporated water with regular tap water because of the chlorine/chloramine/heavy metals/etc., but is there a reason I should not use tap water treated with a water conditioner like seachem prime? Doesn’t it bind all of the above and render the water safe? I’ve searched the forum and couldn’t find an answer for why it’s recommended to only use distilled or RO water.

I keep a bucket full of treated water I use for my other aquariums right next to the shrimpies, and it’s just tempting to top off the opae ula tank with it...

TIA, and happy Friday! :)
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: Topping off with treated tap water?

Post by i<3Opae »

For me personally it’s not worth the risk. Imagine if something goes wrong and your tank crashes, how much more work that’s gonna be.
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Vorteil »

I believe there are still impurities in the tap water that you would not want to introduce into your tank. Yes you can treat it but you're only removing the chlorine.
tooth
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by tooth »

By adding treated water, you'll add impurities and gradually increase the specific gravity, possibly beyond the shrimps' tolerance.