New but did everything wrong

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Tanikaz
Egg
Egg

New but did everything wrong

Post by Tanikaz »

Hi all,
I killed all 40 of blue dream shrimp. I used bottled water with brackish salt from amazon. I got the amount right. Glofish aquarium gravel white, non toxic gravel rock black. Nymphae Rubra dwarf lily live plant, Anubis bartering coin leaves live plant. 8 gallon tank I only let cycle for 2 weeks. The shrimp came in RO water and I didn’t let them acclimate. Complete disaster. One survived but the TDS was 265 I tried to lower that with replacement distilled water got it down to 235 but then last shrimp died.
So I plan on siphoning out all the water cleaning out the carnage, I would like to keep the plants they are thriviing.

Traumatized and back to ground zero best practices for success please! Go! And many thanks :smt006
MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: New but did everything wrong

Post by MrsT »

Wrong forum buddy :|
Tanikaz
Egg
Egg

Post by Tanikaz »

Helpful thanks
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Tanikaz wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:16 pm Hi all,
I killed all 40 of blue dream shrimp. I used bottled water with brackish salt from amazon. I got the amount right.
Were you *trying* to set up a brackish Supershrimp tank? Otherwise it doesn't make sense you got salt...also..if you are trying to set up a brackish tank for Supershrimp, only use reef salt for reef/marine tanks...nothing else.
Tanikaz
Egg
Egg

Post by Tanikaz »

Hi thank you yes it was only reef salt. Setting up your brackish water what should the TDS level be before putting it in the tank
supashrimpo
Egg
Egg

Post by supashrimpo »

Hi! May I ask why you made a brackish set-up when I firmly believe dream blue shrimp are freshwater shrimps??
MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by MrsT »

supashrimpo wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:29 pm Hi! May I ask why you made a brackish set-up when I firmly believe dream blue shrimp are freshwater shrimps??
:smt017 I'm feeling strange too, dream blue/blue velvet, blue pearls/ blue jellies are all neocaridina fresh water shrimps. No matter how correct the salt mixture, they will die in brackish. Probably Takinaz just testing it's subject?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

As the above posters mentioned...your shrimp were freshwater shrimp and they died because you put them in brackish water. You need Supershrimp.