Cool form factor tank

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

sbube
Egg
Egg

Cool form factor tank

Post by sbube »

After being dissatisfied with my first tank I set up, I have transitioned to a new tank. The unique thing about it is, the front to back internal size is only 2.5 inches. So it's wide and tall, but thin, and sits on a bookshelf.
Petshrimp-0.jpg

There were really only a couple places in my house where I could put my first (mostly spherical) tank, and unfortunately trying to get a good look inside involved leaning awkwardly or craning my neck uncomfortably. With this one I can stand comfortably in front of the shelf and see all the action inches in front of my nose. It's almost like having a shrimp "ant farm".
Petshrimp-1.jpg

I especially like the rounded ends, which let the shrimps do laps in the tank without hitting any walls.
Petshrimp-2.jpg

The tank dimensions (internal) are 15.5 in. X 7.5 in. X 2.5 in. so it can hold about 1.25 gallons. Other shots of the happy campers:
Petshrimp-3.jpg
Petshrimp-4.jpg
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Cool form factor tank

Post by SuperProofer »

Nice! :)

I know what you mean about craning your neck to see the spherical tank. My round jar tanks are like that. I'm looking for something flat like this for my upcoming nightstand tank I'll be making.
Erlina _rusli
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Erlina _rusli »

Do you feed the shrimps? Because from the look of the tank so clean no algae inside? I just wondering because my tanks now is clean and less algae after around 50 of them diligently clean the tank
Thanks
sbube
Egg
Egg

Post by sbube »

I haven't done any feeding. The tank was cycling for about 3 weeks with snails, and no algae appeared. I rinsed and sterilized everything that went in there except for one aragonite rock that shows some algae in the pictures, which was moved from my first tank. That tank (two months old) got a good bit of algae, but probably because a couple of snails died and provided nutrients. It actually looks like a snail died in the new one, so the same thing might happen.

If no algae appear I'll probably feed them in a few weeks.
Mf1
Egg
Egg

Post by Mf1 »

Love the tank! Where did you get it?
sbube
Egg
Egg

Post by sbube »

Thanks! I got the tank off of Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005M ... UTF8&psc=1

I was looking for tank possibilities all over the place, but as soon as I saw that one, I knew "This. Is. My. Tank." They have another one that is 12 inches high instead of 8 Inches, with the other dimensions the same. It holds a little over 2 gallons. I didn't feel like I needed the extra height.