White Fuzz/Hair on rocks?!?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Nellyville41
Shrimp
Shrimp

White Fuzz/Hair on rocks?!?

Post by Nellyville41 »

Took a look at my tank today and I noticed there’s a white fuzz growing on my lava rocks and coral. Anybody have any experience in this area?!? Should I be concerned? Tank is roughly 3 months old. Shrimps and snails are normal and active. There’s spots of algae dots all over the place and they feed on that. I have a lamp that cycles for 12 hrs. Any info would be grateful!
Attachments
24979E1E-8451-497E-9868-60B3E0EDE0D3.jpeg
MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: White Fuzz/Hair on rocks?!?

Post by MrsT »

Hi Nellyville41,
Mine started to grow like that when I realized they were too much shrimps waste accumulation on that specific area. It sometimes spread to the glass like the picture shown here.
No harm done so far, some says that opae or snail won't eat it but mine seemed to have gone, so I think it must be either one of them eating that.
When it started, it looks fluffy and whitish color later on as it grows, it'll get more greener.
Attachments
IMG_20180116_162444.jpg
Nellyville41
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Nellyville41 »

Thanks MrsT! Yeah it’s on every rock and coral. I did notice that it was a slight tint of green when looking at it with a magnifying glass. Hopefully it’s not harmful or doesn’t get out of control.
MrsT
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by MrsT »

Nellyville41 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:27 pm Thanks MrsT! Yeah it’s on every rock and coral. I did notice that it was a slight tint of green when looking at it with a magnifying glass. Hopefully it’s not harmful or doesn’t get out of control.
You are welcome :-) . I don't think they are harmful. Good thing is you don't have to feed them, you just need to do "nothing" lol
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yep...do nothing. :) It's just a type of algae. If it continues growing just feed less.