Question about lava rock benefits

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Question about lava rock benefits

Post by SuperProofer »

Hi,

Just curious: does lava rock provide any special benefit to the shrimp directly or the water chemistry? I understand it's good for housing bacteria in the nooks and crannies for them to munch on, and give them places to hide; but would any kind of craggy aquarium decor do for that purpose?

I'm getting ready to start a new tank and I'm thinking of going with a blue and white theme and black lava rock doest exactly fit. But a white or blue fake (aquarium safe, of course) rock/coral type of thing might be nice. I do intend to use some actual coral and shells for pH buffer, of course.
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Question about lava rock benefits

Post by SuperProofer »

Well, I got impatient. Lol I set up a new tank and just used the lava rock. I would still like to know for the future, though, if it can be left out.

Here's the new shrimp digs. Larger than my old jars. I thought I would get a full gallon of water into it, but after putting in the decor, not so much. About 3/4ths gallon. I hope that's sufficient.

But I really do need to get away from the cylindrical tanks. I always love the way the decor looks when I'm building, but once I put the water in, it gets all distorted. 🙄🤔
Before water
Before water
After water
After water
LittlePenny
Larva
Larva

Post by LittlePenny »

It looks great! I like it :D
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Thanks! :D
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Question about noise/vibration: I plan on keeping this tank on my nightstand next to the bed. However, I use Alexa as a white noise generator for sleeping. Do you think it produces a significant enough vibration/noise to disturb the shrimp? I usually have it on thunderstorm sounds which might be a little rumbly. I put my ear to the surface while it was playing and it didn't seem to transfer any noise that I could tell, but might the water in the tank amplify it?
JoeG
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JoeG »

Superproofer I was thinking if you put a glass with a little water in it on or near Alexa you should be able to see if it is creating any vibration. Not sure if noise by itself would be an issue, I would think vibration would be the real concern.
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

These shrimp are native to Hawaii where vibrations of their entire environment due to seismic activity are very common. I wouldn't worry about it.