Newbe please help

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

kamla
Egg
Egg

Newbe please help

Post by kamla »

Hi Guys,

I have about 10 Ghost shrimp in my main tank.. I just love them..
One of the shrimp has eggs in it belly.

I have a spare 5 gal; tank. I am thinking of setting it up as a shrimp only tank. And putting the shrimp with eggs in it… (after I cycle it )
Please let me know what I need to do..
If a need any extra supplies..
Plus what will help in breeding them also..
Plus how many shrimp can I keep in a 5 gal tank

Thanks
kamla
Egg
Egg

Post by kamla »

Any one???? :wink:
jonathan03
Larva
Larva

Post by jonathan03 »

I am new too but I would say if you want the baby shrimp to survive they need to be kept in a tank without any fish - even the samllest ones. The 5 gallon tank is a good idea, but shrimp are sensitve to bad water so make sure its cycled well before you add any shrimp. You can speed the cycling by adding gravel fro ma cycled tank or a filter cartrige from a cycled tank. But be very sure yoiur tank is cycled.

Baby shrimp will eat ground up flakes and smaller foods like that. The same food as adults, just ground up. You might also offer some live plants for your shrimp. They will eat the small algae off the plants and other mircorganisms.
retardo
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by retardo »

what size are the eggs? if they are fairly large, they will hatch into mini versions of the adults. if the eggs are small, they will hatch into larva. larva will require a brackish to full ocean salinity to be raised until they become benthic (mini versions of adults). larva also will require a different feeding regimen.

i personally have not had any success raising larva. benthic babies will do fine in a regular environment without predation.
Dolfan
Egg
Egg

Post by Dolfan »

I also have ghost shrimp and yes they are cool! I'm trying to breed them now but haven't had any success yet. Here are 2 really good websites that I have found on ghost shrimp. I'm pretty sure that there is only 1 size of egg for ghost shrimp, and they all seem pretty small to me. From what i've read they don't need any extra salt to breed. They are hatched I guess as larvae called "naupuli" (not sure of spelling). They do need seperate tank with certain "safety measures" for tiny creatures, like using a sponge filter, no predators, etc.

website #1 @ seahorse.org
http://www.seahorse.org/library/article ... rimp.shtml

website #2 @ petfish.net
http://www.petfish.net/raising_ghost_shrimp.htm