How are the shrimp mailed?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Neil
Egg
Egg

How are the shrimp mailed?

Post by Neil »

I am thinking about purchasing all the materials to get started. Can I order the shrimp as well and let them hang out in whatever they are shipped in, or move them to a temporary jar until their permanent home has had time to cycle? Thanks everyone!
Vorteil
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: How are the shrimp mailed?

Post by Vorteil »

Yes you can.
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

I prefer to set up the tank, let it cycle for a few weeks and then order the shrimp, snails, and algae. Some prefer to order the snails and algae about a week after setting up the tank and order the shrimp a couple weeks later.

They are shipped in a very very small amount of water.
DrMadness
Egg
Egg

Post by DrMadness »

Neil wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:58 pm I am thinking about purchasing all the materials to get started. Can I order the shrimp as well and let them hang out in whatever they are shipped in, or move them to a temporary jar until their permanent home has had time to cycle? Thanks everyone!
I tried this. I ordered some from petshrimp.com and they are still in the bag they were shipped in and alive however I also purchased more from a separate dealer where some died over a short period of time. Its better to wait till your tank is ready to order from my experience but I guess it depends who you purchase them from.
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

For what it's worth, I ordered the gallon's worth of salt and the macroalgae first. I set up the tank and put in a small horned Nerite snail. I put in some fish food like every 3 days and waited until the tank was fully cycled and I saw biofilm developing. That took about 5 weeks. Then I ordered 10 shrimp and put them in. Shortly afterwards I added another 8 shrimp from another source. Today, 16 months later, I have an estimated 50 shrimp of varying sizes and the Nerite is still going strong and has grown some. The macroalgae is larger and still bright green. I have never seen a dead shrimp.
Neil
Egg
Egg

Post by Neil »

Thanks everyone.

So what's the deal with these products that are supposed to help establish the bacteria faster? API Quick Start Nitrifying Bacteria, for Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium and/or Dr. Tims products? It seems like one could add some of this (considering the relatively small volume of water and small biomass of the shrimp) at the beginning and subsequently every few days for two weeks or so until everything stabilizes to avoid die off from bioproducts. I'm concerned that if I wait for a month it will be too cold to send the live shrimp in the mail.

Even if what I am proposing above is a bad idea, is it a good idea to use one of these products when establishing the tank (2.5 gallons) just to get some hopefully good bacteria moving more quickly?

Thanks again for your help!
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Dch48 »

Seeing as we're using brackish water, I'm sure the product made for fresh would not work. The bacteria would be killed by the salinity. A saltwater product would have a much better chance. For freshwater, I swear by Tetra SafeStart. It works very well. For this half strength seawater, I don't think it would.
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

Neil wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:03 pm Thanks everyone.

So what's the deal with these products that are supposed to help establish the bacteria faster? API Quick Start Nitrifying Bacteria, for Freshwater and Saltwater Aquarium and/or Dr. Tims products? It seems like one could add some of this (considering the relatively small volume of water and small biomass of the shrimp) at the beginning and subsequently every few days for two weeks or so until everything stabilizes to avoid die off from bioproducts. I'm concerned that if I wait for a month it will be too cold to send the live shrimp in the mail.

Even if what I am proposing above is a bad idea, is it a good idea to use one of these products when establishing the tank (2.5 gallons) just to get some hopefully good bacteria moving more quickly?

Thanks again for your help!
Just stick with the tried and true method of letting the tank cycle on its own. Set it up, wait a few weeks and then buy the critters and macroalgae. Simple. Why the rush?
Neil
Egg
Egg

Post by Neil »

I'm concerned about the upcoming cold weather and the impact on shipping.
sliphorn
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by sliphorn »

Neil wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:35 am I'm concerned about the upcoming cold weather and the impact on shipping.
They are well packed and heat packs will be used if required.