I put some chaeto algae that was purchased from this site into my newish tank. After a while, though, I saw that a different type was growing. It's finer, less wiry, and tends to anchor to surfaces, unlike the free-floating chaeto.
Is this hair algae on the left? (I've contrasted it with the chaeto on the right.) If so, I'll try to remove it. Thanks.
Does this look like hair algae?
Moderator: Mustafa
-
Ula Hula
- Tiny Shrimp

- Posts: 79
- Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:22 pm
Does this look like hair algae?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
Mustafa
- Founder

- Posts: 6092
- Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 2:13 pm
- Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Re: Does this look like hair algae?
Yes, that appears to be some kind of hair algae.
-
MsNymbus
- Larva

- Posts: 32
- Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:49 pm
Re: Does this look like hair algae?
I have this same stuff in my tank! Did you end up getting it to die or remove it? If so how? I cut the lighting in my tank & stopped feeding and it helped only a little bit. (I know this is a year later lol but I was searching keywords and stumbled across this post) thanks!!
-
Ula Hula
- Tiny Shrimp

- Posts: 79
- Joined: Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:22 pm
Re: Does this look like hair algae?
I took out all the rocks and shells that it was growing on and put them in boiling water and scrubbed them with a clean brush. Also did some partial water changes over time. It seems to have done the trick. Good luck.
-
MsNymbus
- Larva

- Posts: 32
- Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:49 pm
Re: Does this look like hair algae?
Thank you! 